April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (Birdog), 1,046 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,467
Posts545,124
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#359581 03/03/14 09:19 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

You might enjoy this O'Connor letter. My first impulse was to send it to Mike Petrov.

Daryl Hallquist Offline
Sidelock

Loc: Bozeman, Mt. A bit on the O'Connor -Crandall possible connection. Letter from The Lone Eagle Lodge website.---------------Here's where the letter came from--http://www.theloneeaglelodge.com/the-o-connor-letter-t511.html

I'm fortunate enough to have inherited through my late uncle a letter that was sent sometime back in the late 40's possibly early 1950's to my Grandfather from Jack O'Connor.
The letter was neatly folded inside the cardboard box which held my Grandfathers reloading press..a unit made by G.B. Crandall Woodstock Ontario for the .257 Roberts.

So here it is........ .from the typewriter of Jack to the readers of Lone Eagle........

The letter is undated but it is typed on the typical typewriter of the era complete with XX'd out typing errors.
Then signed in fountain pen by the man himself.
The letter is as follows....
..................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
"This data is intended only................................................................................................................................From Jack O'Conner
as a helpful guide. Outdoor life assumes no responsibility ........................................... ...........................................Shooting Editor
for any accidents which may ...........................................................................................................................OUTDOOR LIFE
stem from its use. ........................................................................................................................................353 Fourth Ave.
....................................................................................................................................................................New York 10,N.Y.

RELOADING THE .257 ROBERTS
The .257 owner will greatly increase his rifles usefulness and his pleasure in using it if he reloads his cartridges.And he will also save money,since the brass case of the factory cartridge represents about half the total cost of the ammunition.Before the war,certain .25 caliber bullets could be obtained very cheaply.Now all bullets are expensive.Nevertheless,a genuine savings can be effected by the hand loader.Besides that ,the .257 owner can have,with one load,a rifle that isn't too far behind the .270.

PITCH OF RIFLING
Factory .257 rifles have barrels with a 1-10 twist. This is the best all-round twist.It will stabalize bullets. It will stabilize bullets as heavy as 120 grains and give superb accuracy to the 100-gr.bullet.With the 60 and 87 grain bullets,however,somewhat better accuracy is obtained with the 1-12 twist.

CARTRIDGE LENGTH
Factory .257 rifles have short magazines and their chambers have short throats.That's because the original .257 loads had round-nose bullets.Because of the short magazine,the man who handloads spitzer bullets will have to seat them deep so the cartridges will work through the magazine.Since the bullet must then make a big jump to contact the barrel rifling,accuracy falls off.It is easy to make the magazine of the Winchester Model 70 longer.Remove the bolt stop from the bolt ,the block from the magazine and substitute a 30/06 follower.Spitzer bullets can then be seated out to touch or almost touch the lands,and yet work through the magazine.
With the Remington Model 722,the magazine must be milled out behind the lower locking lug recess.Some gunsmiths report better accuracy with longer throats,and many factory .257 rifles have been rethroated. My own Model 70 has a lengthened magazine but a standard throat,and will shoot into a minute of angle.So the necessity of rethroating for top accuracy is open to question.

Since hundreds of custom .257 rifles have been made on Mauser and Springfield actionsby various gunsmiths with various reamers,any dope on overall cartridge length would be useless.Obviously,overall length is determined by the throat of the chamber and by the length of the magazine.

CASES
Remington,Winchester and Western cases differ slightly in capacity,so for good accuracy ,one should stick to a single brand of case.In .257 cases made from 30/06 brass,powder capacity is much less and loads that are O.K for commercial cases will produce high pressures.Cases should always be trimmed back to original length after being used 4 or 5 times.

.257 BULLETS
In a good .257 superb accuracy can be obtained with the Winchester 100 gr. Silvertip bullet and the Remington soft-point Core-Lokt bullets of 100 and 117 gr.But when this was written they were difficult to obtain.Any dealer in reloading supplies can furnish ecellent .25 caliber bullets made bythe small bullet makers: A.B.C. Sierra,Speer,Hornady,M.G.S.
Bullets can be obtained in weights from 60 to 125 grains. Some shoot better than others.Primers--Winchester No.120,Western No.81/2,Remington 9 1/2 and Federal No. 120--can be obtained from the suppliers of bullets.

LOADING DATA
BULLET ............................ POWDER CHARGE ........................ MUZZLE VELOCITY......................... REMARKS
60 gr. .............................44 gr. HiVel No.2.........................3300
60" ............................44 gr No.4676..............................3315
60"...................................41 gr. No.3031.............................3164...........................................Very good accuracy
60"...................................43 gr. No.3031.............................3350
87"...................................38 gr.HiVel No.2...........................2925
87"....................................40 gr. HiVel No.2.........................3034
87"....................................47 gr. No.4350.............................3325.........................................Good accuracy
87".....................................43 gr. No 4064............................3400.........................................A bit hot.
87"......................................41 gr. No. 4064...........................3310.......................................O.K
100".....................................38.5 gr. No.4064....................2900..............................Gives superb accuracy and mild pressure
especially with Remington Core-Lokt and Western Silvertip bullets
100"...................................39.5 No.4064.......................... 2940...............................Good load
100"....................................46 gr. No.4350..........................3040.............................. Good load
100".....................................39 gr. No 4895.........................3025...............................Pretty hot.
100".....................................37.5 No.4320...........................2775...............................Low pressure, accurate
100"......................................39 gr. No.4320.........................2890...............................Very accurate
117"......................................45 gr. No 4350.........................2950..............................Powerful big game load. Pressures about maximum.
117" ....................................46 gr. No 4831.........................2925...............................Good load
120"......................................44 gr. No 4350.........................2940..............................
120".......................................45 gr. No. 4831......................2875..............................Accurate and moderate
120"......................................43 gr. No 4350.........................2860.............................Gives me less than 1-in.groups with A.B.C bullets
125".....................................44 gr. No 4350.........................2850..............................Maximum even in long throated rifles.With short throats try 43 gr.Not particularly accurate

The above dope is based on tests made on Vernon Speer's Potter Counter Chronograph.
Shooting was done with a Model 70 Winchester and a Weaver K-8 scope.
Velocities were taken at 60 ft. and worked back to muzzle with standard formula. NOTE: Velocity varies with chamber,case,bore,primer,bearing surface of bullet and temperature so any figures are to some extent approximate. In the .257 best accuracy is usually obtained with loads under maximum. My pet is a good 100-gr. bullet in front of 38.5 gr. of No. 4064.

My best wishes,
(signature)
JACK O'CONNER

I've made several color copies of the letter so if anyone is interested drop me a PM and I'll throw one in the mail to you.
The old Crandall press is another entire post for another day.... :lol:

Top Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply Quick Quote Notify Email Post

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
View All Topics Index

Last edited by Daryl Hallquist; 03/03/14 10:10 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Cool historical letter!
I assume the misspelling of O'Connor was in the retyping.

The mention of 4831 indicates that some of the load development was done after mid-'52. Prior to that, Hodgdon called the powder 4350 Data powder. The Rifleman staff published a few critical comments on that, evidently pressuring Hodgdon to note it was actually 4831.
There is a lot of similarity to the .257 loads published slightly later ('54) in the Speer #1 manual.

Another of O'Connor's favorite loads published in that era was 39 grs. of 4320 with a 100 gr. Barnes and a graphite wad.

Good shooting!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Memories. As a young scribe, I got a couple letters from Mr. O'Connor, one regrets to my invitation to hunt deer in Nova Scotia, and the other on 7mms which he favoured, particularly my "light and whippy" Brno which he described as a great saddle gun. Mention of 4831: I was using it in early 50s. A Mormon clergyman from the US West gave me some in a blue Planter's Peanuts can for my 7mm. Results were satisfactory. I still have the shiny bright-blue can on my reloading shelf with barely legible "4831" scotch-taped to the top.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.