March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (Travis S), 251 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,976
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

You may find what you are looking for on
google ebook,they list "H. BABCOCK" books. PILGRIM

Sidelock
Sidelock

I like topgun's spelling better. At least when attributed to that story.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: TwiceBarrel
[quote=TwiceBarrel
So sad that such an experienced and learned man as Mr. Babcock was taken in by the naysayers of the day. Too bad Sherman Bell and Tom Armbrust couldn't have conducted their research earlier. /quote]

I made this comment on the misinformation that was prevalent at the time for I too was taken in by the naysayers and believing them to be "experts" passed up the opportunity to pick up a sweet little Parker D grade 20 gauge with those dreaded damascus barrels for the paltry sum of $250.00 in 1990. I'm still kicking myself over that one.

Oh well Steve; at least it wasn't a Fox wink!

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. - Albert Einstein
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Fin2Feather
[quote=TwiceBarrel
So sad that such an experienced and learned man as Mr. Babcock was taken in by the naysayers of the day. Too bad Sherman Bell and Tom Armbrust couldn't have conducted their research earlier. /quote]

I made this comment on the misinformation that was prevalent at the time for I too was taken in by the naysayers and believing them to be "experts" passed up the opportunity to pick up a sweet little Parker D grade 20 gauge with those dreaded damascus barrels for the paltry sum of $250.00 in 1990. I'm still kicking myself over that one.

And this "Fox" has the answer- Oct 1947-- and for what it is worth to my fellow Bab- "cockians" here, my favorite of all are "Tennessee" and "Slim Boggin's Mistake"--

Last edited by Run With The Fox; 03/25/14 10:58 PM.

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

Well, let's keep it to ourselves, guys, helping us to pick up nice old guns at a good price if the vendor is afraid of the deadly Damascus pipebomb!

Sidelock
Sidelock

i distinctly recall reading a story in Field & Stream by Babcock many years ago. I don't recall the name of it but has the same theme. In this one he described being away from home on buisness & being invited to go on a quail hunt, but hadn't brought a gun. A gun was borrowed which a local gent had been using as his Rabbit gun. This time it was definitely a Lefever. He virtually couldn't miss with it & persuaded the owner to sell it to him for an exorbitant price considering its somewhat ratty condition. After getting it home as he was cleaning it up he discovered it was the dreaded Damascus. He tried to use it some more telling himself it had been in use for all these years without blowing up, but couldn't hit the side of a barn with it any more. He "Confessed" that after each shot he stopped & counted his fingers. He then stated he put it in the cabinet with a note stating that on the given date he Killed x number of quail straight with this gun but never used it again. At the time I read this the only Lefever I was familiar with was the Ithaca built nitro Special so sort of wondered what was quite so Special about the Lefever. When I was introduced to a "Real Lefever" I Knew.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

"I like topgun's spelling better. At least when attributed to that story."

Well, I suppose all I can say for myself is that, unlike Mr. Babcock, my profession is not as an English professor (or spelling teacher, or anything literate).

Sidelock
Sidelock

topgun - Maybe not, but your closing paragraph was extremely eloquent and some of the most well written words I've read regarding the ongoing journey of our aging bodies and the magic of the hunt we love so much, the most powerful elixir we have to combat our mortality.

Many Thanks - Marc

Sidelock
Sidelock

I read somewhere that his favorite bird gun was a 16 gauge Fox. Bobby

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Fin2Feather
[quote=TwiceBarrel

Yes Phil you are right. I guess the angels that look out for fools and Fox gun nuts took pity on me after cause I've done OK since.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.