May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
7 members (Hammergun, Bill Davis, Lloyd3, AGS, bushveld, 1 invisible), 1,044 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,511
Posts545,657
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#362447 03/29/14 03:58 AM
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

I am looking at what appears to be a very nice pair of 12 bore Army Navy boxlocks and have a few questions for those with more knowledge than me. The right barrel on one of the guns has a wall thickness of .0019. Would it be safe to continue to use the gun with light field loads? If not, what would be the cost of new barrels and is there a gunsmith in the US who could perform the work? (I've spent several hours searching the web and it is surprisingly difficult to find this information). The guns are currently in the UK, so if it would be best to rebarrel the one gun there, I could have it done before importing them.

Many thanks.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Assuming the guns are offered for sale in the UK, they will need to be 'in proof'. If they are, then they should be safe for the loads for which they are proofed.
I assume the .019 is near the muzzle, in which case, the pressures are low and from that aspect, not a worry. BUT, walls that thin are easily dented. They may also indicate the gun has been fine bored - possibly to remove pitting. This may have taken the barrels right to the verge of proof limits.
You need to establish;
- that the guns are in proof
- at what size the proof was passed (.719, .729 etc)
- what the present bore dimensions are
- that any pitting present is minimal

For example, a gun proofed for a 12 (.729) and currently measuring say .737 is in proof, but only just. Any further fine boring will not only thin the barrels further, but also put the gun out of proof.

Last edited by JohnfromUK; 03/29/14 04:54 AM.
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

John, many thanks. The guns are being offered by an auction house so I assume they are in proof and bores not pitted, as they normally mention if the bores are marked. Here is a link to the listing. If you can glean anything else from the listing, I'd be grateful to know.

http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/21657/lot/140/

Sidelock
Sidelock

If you're talking about a set of new barrels rather than sleeving, the expense may be too great given the value of the guns. I owned a pair of A&N boxlocks. Decent guns, in proof, no thin spots, no pits, etc. In the original motor case. Made by Webley & Scott, so essentially a W&S pair with the A&N name. At which point you have to ask, how much are a pair of Scotts worth? Individually, a very nice W&S 700 12ga can be bought for $3,000 or maybe less. Throw in something extra for a pair vs two individual guns (although pairs in the States don't seem to command much of a premium, if any); a bit more if they're cased. A new set of barrels would almost certainly leave you upside down.

Champlin Arms recently had a pair of Wilkes boxlocks on their website. Totally redone, by Wilkes: New barrels, new stocks, gone through and refurbished. In the case. The price was somewhere around $12,000, if I recall correctly. If you add up current prices for new barrels and new stocks, that would exceed the asking price for the guns. However, once you have them, they're still British 12 bore boxlocks, on which the market is fairly soft at present. Again, you could buy a couple of Scott 700's and come up with a "composed pair" for a lot less. (That being said, the Wilkes pair is no longer on Champlin's website, so they must have sold.)

Sidelock
Sidelock

Definitely not worth re-barrelling ,sleeving will cost around 1400 ex works UK plus tax . A single A&D in proof but with bad barrels would not want to be more than 400 total in my opinion put the other at 1500 so that puts them below the estimate .
Your choice but don't forget all the commissions and shipping costs .

Sidelock
Sidelock

If they are from Bonhams, they will be 'in proof', though by how much, one can't say. If you want a gun to own and use very occasionally, 0.019 wall I could live with (I have at least one that thin) - but for a regular use gun - I'd be concerned about it getting dented so easily. There is no margin to have any work done on the barrels short of sleeving or replacement. Such a gun should be towards the bottom of any price range because frankly, its near the end of its natural life.

Sleeving is fairly expensive - and reduces the value, especially where one of a pair is sleeved because the paired balance will almost certainly be lost.

New barrels are prohibitively expensive except for a top grade gun with (lots of) sentimental value! (My view)

As others have said, the guns will have been made in Birmingham by one of the makers who supplied retailers, very likely W & C Scott/Webley & Scott, or possibly Midland Gun Co. - both good makers.

Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Many thanks for the quick replies. I'll probably pass on these and wait for a better pair, possibly from a Scottish maker. I do really like the lines on the A&N pair though and they look beautifully matched.

If I were to rebarrel the one gun, where would you recommend having it done?

All the best

Sidelock
Sidelock

I can only answer that I would not recommend having it done. Its just too expensive - and should be done to a pair as a pair really. Personally, I wouldn't even sleeve. I think your idea of waiting for a better prospect is the winner (for me).

Sidelock
Sidelock

Two things quickly come top mind. 1) Do you really (I mean do you KNOW) that you shoot game guns well enough to invest in a pair? 2) If, and only if, you know you can shoot qame guns well, then you might consider investing in sleeve(s) for one if, and only if, you know you are forever in love with them.

Take care that you are not infatuated because they seem an affordable bargain and could be a surrogate for a better gun you would really love. I'll look and render a value opinion in a few days (haven't looked through the Bonhams sale yet).

DDA

Sidelock
Sidelock

I agree with John. Do not consider re-barrelling.

Even sleeving will be doubtful in cost effectiveness.

A gun with 19 thou minimum but otherwise sound barrels will out live you as long as you do not dent it in the thin spot - you cannot shoot it out.

The price should reflect the thin barrels - they need to be cheap and otherwise very good.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.