April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,059 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,467
Posts545,124
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Der Ami
JohnfromUK,
I don't think this is the "peening"of the hook, Joe was talking about. This was only tightening, not putting it back "on face".He specifically said he wouldn't work on the "hook" to tighten.I'm sure what Joe was talking about is the often seen punchmarks on the hook(the front lug)in a misguided attempt to set it back.This poor method is very obvious,even to the untrained eye.What the English trained gunsmith did in the video is not obvious and I suspect a lot of us proudly show off guns that have had the same thing done, without knowing it.
Mike

Hi Mike,
What you say about having guns that have had this treatment may very well be correct, but I have had two guns tightened, in one case by a new pin, and in the other case by a new pin and re-metal the hook (it had previously had at least one new pin).
In both cases, I was told this was the ONLY way to do it properly, though neither was badly 'off the face', just a bit loose in closure. I agree if the gun is off the face, the barrels have to be moved back towards the face - and the video acknowledges that. I don't agree that 'dressing' the metal on one bite alone to tighten the closure is the right way to go. I have been told that the action should NEVER be squeezed, another thing mentioned in the video.
As Gunman has said, these may be acceptable for a very cheap way of getting a low budget gun that doesn't justify a proper job a bit better for a short time. Peening the metal like that will give a small contact area that will wear quickly and you will be back to square one very quickly.

I don't believe it is the right thing to do at all - ever - to a quality gun. I would not (knowingly) accept it being done to any of my guns - if others are happy with this technique, fine, but I'm not! Just my view and I may be 'picky' or plain fussy, but I try to get things done the 'right' way on my guns.

Sidelock
Sidelock

#1 mistake: Sell the gun.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm not a big fan of electric pencil social security numbers either

Last edited by Lawrence Kotchek; 03/30/14 03:01 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

On a vintage gun...

1. add a rubber recoil pad
2. add a rubber recoil pad
3. add a rubber recoil pad
4. add a rubber recoil pad
5. cut the barrels

Oh, and I'll even add a 6th one

6. add a rubber recoil pad

“I left long before daylight, alone but not lonely.”~Gordon Macquarrie
Sidelock
Sidelock

For British or Continental guns, anything that takes it out of proof, e.g., chamber lengthening and/or excessive honing.

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

They say a picture is worth 1000 words. Check out this!

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=403206405

However... the last time this P.O.S. was listed, some shotgun connoisseur actually bid $851.11... and did not meet the reserve. Proof that both seller and buyer are on drugs.

This same gun was originally listed as being a rare factory original gun.

We've all seen worse. Peened lumps, nails and carraige bolts, torch colors, gobs of gray epoxy and baling wire. But someone actually put some time into this monstrosity.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

1. Truck Gun
2. Cowboy Action Gun

Sidelock
Sidelock

Accidentally run over a nice SxS that was left on the ground while loading the dogs in the SUV.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think this one pretty much encompasses all of the above but for being run over by the truck.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=403501619

But, it was all done by a highly skilled professional so, it's all all right.

fiery, dependable, occasionally transcendent
Sidelock
Sidelock

I could live with the folk art carving on the Lefever, but hacking at the barrels with a hatchet is over the top.

Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.