March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (Borderbill, ChiefAmungum, JDH, KDGJ, Marc Ret, 1 invisible), 366 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,989
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
Sidelock
Sidelock

Let my brother borrow it. Don't ask me how I know this.

"It's a good day for something"
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: mike campbell
Originally Posted By: L. Brown
Originally Posted By: Flintfan
On a vintage gun...

1. add a rubber recoil pad
2. add a rubber recoil pad
3. add a rubber recoil pad
4. add a rubber recoil pad
5. cut the barrels

Oh, and I'll even add a 6th one

6. add a rubber recoil pad

So what do you do if the stock's too short? And on quite a few vintage doubles, a recoil pad was a factory option: Parker, Elsie, Fox, Iver Johnson. And "period" pads are available.

They're only too short if you intend to shoot them. From what I've seen that's waaaaaay down on the list for most "vintage" gun owners. In fact, shooting isn't even a consideration for many.

Hmmm. Must be one of those practices that varies from the East Coast to the Midwest. Everyone I know that owns vintage guns buys them to shoot . . . assuming they're shootable. Some cheapo trashed guns bought for wall hangers, I suppose. But at least out this way, not many folks buy vintage guns strictly to collect and not shoot them. And the ones that are truly collectible are far fewer in number than the ones that are not collectible but perfectly shootable.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The absolute worst thing you can do to a double, or any gun for that matter, is to NOT join the NRA or renew your existing membership.

Practice safe eating. Always use a condiment.
Sidelock
Sidelock

To add to the above:

"send it off to Briley's" to have screw chokes added
Shoot Steel Shot in it - Shoot modern high pressure and/or hard recoiling ammo in it
Take it apart and futz with it of you don't know what you are doing
Removing Sling Swivels and Cheek Pieces from guns that came with them
Treating them with less care than a pair of pliers

Last edited by postoak; 03/31/14 08:10 PM.

Mine's a tale that can't be told, my freedom I hold dear.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Bugger the screws.

There should be a rule if you bugger the screw you have to make if perfect again or they take away your screw driver for life.

mc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

let someone tell you what to do with your property

Sidelock
Sidelock

1) Having a gun custom made for you and then losing it. Say for instance if Burt Becker were to make you an HE Super Fox and you left it leaning on the bumper of your car and drove off.

2) Or maybe instead, finding Bo Whoop lying on the side of the road, discovering what you had found, and not returning it.

Last edited by Doverham; 04/01/14 08:26 AM.

Such a long, long time to be gone, and a short time to be there.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: J.R.B.
The absolute worst thing you can do to a double, or any gun for that matter, is to NOT join the NRA or renew your existing membership.

Ding-Ding-Ding! Give this man a cigar! +100

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

While not a SxS, a few friends overturned their boat on the river while duck hunting. Their pumps and autos were "drowned." The hunters had a very cold swim that morning, in heavy clothes.

They recovered one Remington 11-87 with a magnet two weeks later. After a major cleaning, it was O.K.

The other two shotguns are still in the river.

Sidelock
Sidelock

ONE of the worst things you can do to a fine double gun is not shoot it.

Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.