April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (fullandfuller, Jeremy Pearce, battle, Roundsworth, 2 invisible), 1,180 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,843
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Khan Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Hi ,
i am going to buy a BSA SXS 28" boxlock ejector shotgun,. here are few pics please comment on its value and how much is it reliable to be used as hunting gun?
from marks under barrel please identify its date and both barrel say choke , how to know about chokes as there are no figures?
thanks and regards

Sidelock
Sidelock

BSAs are strong and solid guns - and should be reliable, though who knows what may have been done since it was made. Repairs are often not of 'original' quality.
Date - I will leave to others more knowledgeable.
Choke should be measured. In the UK how much choke is not normally marked on the gun - and may well have been changed since originally made anyway.
One bit of general knowledge, BSA were one of the first to machine make guns such that parts were truly interchangeable.

Last edited by JohnfromUK; 04/06/14 03:56 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I agree with John, BSAs are really solid guns, infact i used to own one and hunt with it. The pattern is great and the barrels are strong. But who might know what would have happened in the trade. The most important part is are you buying it from a gunshop, or is it from a seller himself? About the choke you would definitely need to measure because even if it is not altered, choke can mean full choke, three quarters , half choke etc.But most of the British shotguns are manufactured with three quarters choke. All the best!

Kem

Khan Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

thanks both of you,..
i am buying this gun from a hunter , gun is very little used and well kept,. no alteration everything original,. i think it is good gun and will serve well smile

Sidelock
Sidelock

One thing to note is that with proof marks showing 1 1/8 Oz, as these do, the chambers are almost certainly the UK standard, which is 2 1/2".

Be very wary if they have been lengthened, because in the UK, that would require reproof.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The gun would date from the early 20's. I don't believe BSA's appeared until after WWI. And after 1925, the proofmarks would have included chamber length--which is absent on this one. So that gives a pretty narrow range of dates.

The "choke" on both barrel flats means that both barrels originally had SOME choke, but it could be relatively little. Like as little as .008, or a somewhat open IC--or even a bit less than that, if the maker so requested from the proofhouse. As Kem says, the only way to know for sure is to measure. And that's true even when you have specific choke markings on barrels. You never know whether someone might have changed them.

Sidelock
Sidelock

American's buy guns based too much on the outside of the gun. By that I mean perceived condition and looks. The way to buy a gun is by the insides, barrel and action. BSA actions are tried and true. Where you need to look at is on face and the barrels. Have the wall thickness measured, check that the chambers are still 2 1/2" not eased out to 2 3/4", measure the chokes. If the walls are thick, the chambers original and there are no obvious flaws or mechanical problem the gun looks like a fine shooter.

You do know that appropriate 2 1/2" loads would be best used in this gun. Even in guns proofed later for 2 3/4" I prefer 2 1/2" loads to keep stress and recoil down on my shoulder and the guns stock.

Sidelock
Sidelock

RST has great 2 1/2 inch shells in a variety of shot sizes and types. I use them in my 1913 Parker.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Good solid guns. I have one of their 3 inch magnum models. They range from quite crude non-ejector models with just the letters BSA stamped on the action to engraved ejector models. If you Google the name John Knibbs he has the records for BSA. One little thing to look for on BSA guns is the inclusion of a letter W in front of the serial number. This indicates that they were used by the RAF in the Second World War for training air gunners and fighter pilots to hit moving targets by clay shooting. BSA had them back after the war and refurbished them for resale. Just guns with interesting history if you should find one. Lagopus.....

Sidelock
Sidelock

Another interesting thing I should have mentioned is that they are made by the dove tail lump method. Winchester copied this method for their Model 21's. Lagopus.....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.