Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

To be correct [pedantic I know ] it was a vertical dovetailed chopper lump not to be confused with a normal dovetail construction . These were pegged and soldered rather than brazed .Solidly made guns that BSA set out to make the cheapest possible English gun.
You will often see a small dot on the side panel ,this is a stopper covering a reinforcing pin through the head . This is not a repair but a factory fitting .

Sidelock
Sidelock

Theese guns are quite good values in todays market. They are very tough, smoothly finished, and well balanced. I have a 30 inch IC&F game gun
with a Purdey "A" prefix number engraved on the triggerguard bow.
Best, Mal

Sidelock
Sidelock

It is my understanding that BSA did adopt the American method of manufacturing (interchangeable parts) but the term is somewhat misleading. Raw parts could be made by machine but the final fitting and finish still had to be done by hand. The machining did reduce the amount of time required to begin assembly but true interchangeability was never achieved. At the time it was a point of pride for advancing industrial nations to advertise "machine made" even if this was a stretch of facts. Of course today the meaning of the term has reversed itself and is usually associated with low or indifferent quality.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

I had an identical beeza side by side a good few years back and found it a nice light gun to carry while rough shooting either pheasant or snipe, it was well balanced and even though a cheap gun handled like a much more expensive gun. They can be bought very cheaply, 200-300 euro. The only problem i have encountered is,most i have seen are pitted as they were used as a farmers working gun and not looked after very well.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I owned two of these fine guns, there are two frame types, the one here has the heavier frame with the noticeable "cheeks" the other frame is lighter, without the cheeks and some line engraving.
My heavy frame gun was chambered for 3" 12 ga shells and the barrels were quite heavy, as would be expected. A non ejector
The other, much lighter gun was chambered for 2 1/2" 12 ga shells, an ejector with stunning wood for a "cheap" gun.
I remember reading an article in a British gun magazine years ago,
about the two frame types, or maybe 3, was my 3" gun a magnum?

"

Sidelock
Sidelock

They must be tough guns. When John Olin did the famous blue pill destructive testing of many contemporary doubles, along with his Model 21, there was a BSA in the bunch. It was the "last man standing", aside from the 21. The BSA digested 150 rounds before giving up the ghost, the Purdey, 60.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm surprised the Purdey made it that far; a bit like pitting a sports car against a tractor. Those BSA's, especially the Magnum version, are really tough guns. Lagopus.....

Sidelock
Sidelock

Kahn,
I have B.S.A Literature covering the period 1925-1937.Your gun as illustrated is seen in the 1925 catalogue but dose not appear in the 1937 catalogue. The price in 1925 for your gun as a 12G ejector was 14 pounds 14 shillings .The engraved version was 2 pounds 2 shillings extra.[ie priced in gns ,London fashion!]
B.S.A. states that the barrels are Jessops[A B.S.A.subsidiary] steel, made in Sheffield. They also claim that all parts are viewed and gauged at each stage of manufacture to ensure complete interchangeability.

Roy Hebbes
Sidelock
Sidelock

Greetings, Roy Hobbes. During the '30s BSA made a magnificent 12 bore ejector boxlock with outstanding Purdey style rose & scroll engraving checkered butt and perfect balance. I assume this was their top of the line product. Having reference to your historic literature, how much would such a piece have cost back in the day. Are you aware to what extent "out workers" were used in the manufacture of the top guns. Was engraving out sourced? Could you please post an appropriate page from a catalog illustrating their best gun. Thanks in advance for your help.

J.K.B. von Falkenhorst

Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan, do you have the original article about the Olin model 21 test? It would be interesting to read the whole test procedure and many of us would be grateful for such a post.

Re the BSA. It is the last true bargain left in English guns. We keep talking about it and then we will see prices rise.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.