April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (SKB, montenegrin, GETTEMANS, Replacement, LeFusil, 1 invisible), 377 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,469
Posts545,147
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#364375 04/17/14 05:07 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I have glass bedded several rifles over the years and done a number of repairs with Acraglass when called for. I have noticed a few threads referring to bedding a shotgun stock with Acraglass. I understand the principle, to reduce the chance of stock splitting, but am unfamiliar with just exactly where and how the glass bedding is used. Has anyone done this or could anyone share any pictures of the process? I don't have any immediate plans to glass bed a shotgun stock but one never knows what's going to turn up on the next trip to the gun shops. Thanks in advance.

Marty

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have done many. I will take some pics of the process soon, as I am doing a sidelock in a couple of weeks. I dont use acraglass ever.

wear those safety glasses
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I used the term Acraglass kind of generically. I actually always preferred Microbed to Acraglass for rifles. I found some a while back and have been hoarding it. Can't seem to find the Microbed anymore.

I look forward to the pictures. Thanks.

Marty

Boxlock
Boxlock

In the interim, you can go to lcsmith.org and click on Drew Hause's "Photo Trail". Look for the "Long Cracked" entries therein and enjoy.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks. I'll do that. I have some long hours to kill between radio calls on night shift.

Marty

Sidelock
Sidelock

Unfortunately, Microbed a favorite was discontinued.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I use Aliphatic epoxy formulas that I fill with gel glass fibers, or ground kevlar fibers. almond wood flour,etc. one I use has a 2 hr working time and is very strong the next day but in 10 days it is remarkable. These products are available from US Composites and other venders. The best release agent is a generous coat of Simonize Paste Wax

wear those safety glasses
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Byrddog
I use Aliphatic epoxy formulas that I fill with gel glass fibers, or ground kevlar fibers. almond wood flour,etc. one I use has a 2 hr working time and is very strong the next day but in 10 days it is remarkable. These products are available from US Composites and other venders. The best release agent is a generous coat of Simonize Paste Wax

Ah, at last a person to ask this question to. How about walnut sawdust as a filler? The really fine powder from the Disc/Belt sander. Could this be combined with the normal extended-time epoxy?
Thanks
Ken
Thanks

I prefer wood to plastic, leather to nylon, waxed cotton to Gore-Tex, and split bamboo to graphite.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I use the fine powdered Garretts Snuff for a coloring agent and filler. It has worked great for me for years.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Some years ago I repaired an elaborate stained glass panel. I found that I could make replacement repair pieces using epoxy stained with food coloring. The food coloring was mixed in as I combined the two epoxy parts. Most any color can be achieved.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.