March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (Dale May, NZHunter, SKB, 1 invisible), 308 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,977
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I need to find the threads describing repair of stocks with the milled in slot and plywood fillet. Also the grain painting thread. I have used the search function but no luck so far. If you know where these threads are I would really appreciated finding them.

Sidelock
Sidelock

This isn't a thread, but a slideshow found on the PGCA site. It's where I got a lot of my info from. Some of the pics show the fillet method for repairing broken wrists. I'm using a similar method on a Parker PH right now. (on the same gun, the stock head was in six pieces as well) The tang pin had been broken, so I had to go in through the through the trigger guard inlet, Dremel out enough wood to shape the end of the broken pin so I could grip it with a thin set of needle nose pliers to remove it. (about half-way down through the wrist) Since it was right at the thinnest part of the wrist, I'm cutting thin slots on each side of the hole in order to fit a hand shaped walnut fillet in, to both strengthen the wrist and provie good wood to drill the pin hole through. It will be invisible when done, all the work is under the trigger guard.

Here's the slideshow.
http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/slideshow/15127852
Ken

Last edited by Ken61; 04/19/14 07:29 AM.

I prefer wood to plastic, leather to nylon, waxed cotton to Gore-Tex, and split bamboo to graphite.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Jerry - did you see Steven Dodd Hughes' article in the current SSM? He gives a very thorough discussion (with pics) of this procedure.

Such a long, long time to be gone, and a short time to be there.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Doverham, Thanks for the reminder. Had the magazine laying right behind me the whole time!

Sidelock
Sidelock

So does anybody know how to find the threads Jerry was refering to?
I would be interested in them also.

AIN'T MUCH A MAN CAN'T FIX
WITH SEVEN HUNDRED DOLLARS AND A THIRTY OUGHT SIX
Boxlock
Boxlock

I don't know what particular threads Mr. Lape wanted, but searching for "fillet" got me the same link that Ken61 provided and that Drew House had provided in the past. I then searched for "painting". That gave me several posts relating to to painting stocks as well as several posts referring to a Mr. Larson. Searching for "Larson" got me many examples of his work, which is pretty awesome, and a link to his website.

Sidelock
Sidelock

If you have a copy of David Trevellian- Michael McIntosh's book, it has a discussion of doing the wrist fillet splint under the trigger guard method.

W. E. Boyd
Sidelock
Sidelock

Any chance you could post some pictures of your Jig? I'd like to see it.
Thanks
Ken

I prefer wood to plastic, leather to nylon, waxed cotton to Gore-Tex, and split bamboo to graphite.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.