April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Argo44, Mark II, ivanhoe, Karl Graebner, 2 invisible), 446 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,473
Posts545,161
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#366215 05/12/14 10:44 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

My understanding is that Fed-Ex and USPS will not ship ammo, so UPS is the only option for ORM-D packages. I recently set up a UPS account so I could ship reloads for testing occasionally. I just got a $41 bill for a monthly service fee and when I called UPS, I was told that they require all ORM-D shippers to pay a local pickup fee of $10/week as a condition of service. When I pointed out that I did not need a pickup service and that charging me $500/yr in service fees so that I could ship an occassional $14 package seemed incredibly unreasonable mad, I was told that thems the rules for shipping ORM-D.

Has anyone else run into this, or have suggestions for another approach to shipping ORM-D?

Thanks in advance, Doverham

Last edited by Doverham; 05/12/14 10:45 AM.

Such a long, long time to be gone, and a short time to be there.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't think there are any special charges if you deliver the package to the terminal versus have UPS pick it up. I do know that package shipping services will not accept ORM-D packages for shipment.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Drop it off to the ups terminal. Having an account is not required but it does help. I have a ups account but do not call for pickup of ammo. Too many issues if the driver does not know the rules. I use the same lady at the ups terminal and I did have to educate her slightly. Her supervisor confirmed the package was properly marked and we dotted the I s and crossed the t s. Now it takes just an extra minute to confirm it is all right.

Sidelock
Sidelock

There are no special charges if you take it to a UPS hub/terminal. I just shipped ORM-D with cartridges for testing one week ago today - $13.61 for the shipping charge.

The only "issue" I ran into is that I had placed the new diamond shaped symbol that appears on the newer shotshell flats on my package - it's usable now and required by 2020 (required now for international shipments). The woman at the counter said that I still needed an "ORM-D" "cartridges-small arms" label, she then reached under the counter pulled out one that was pre-printed and taped it on. Shipping cartridges was old hat to her.

Last edited by FlyChamps; 05/12/14 09:23 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I use one of the local "pack and ship" stores to ship ammo via UPS. Located in a neighborhood mall, much simpler than driving all the way across town to the UPS hub. First shipment took a little "training" of the staff, but now they recognize me and know the drill. It does cost a few $ more, but I save that much or more in fuel. I clip ORM-D labels off old shotgun flat cartons and tape them to the package.

"Every one must believe in something, I believe I'll go hunting today."
Sidelock
Sidelock

I ship ammo thru UPS occasionally and have found them the only reliable way to do so in my area. There must be others in the LA Slurb, but I haven't found them. The people at the UPS Customer Service Center which I use are well up on shipping arms and ammo, including all the CA-specific issues.

UPS's contractors ("UPS Stores") are worse than useless--any mention of guns or ammo in our local one has the kid's hand hovering over the 911 speed dial....

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks for the input. Similar to shipping guns, UPS is not always consistent with how they go about things, I guess. I was told that ammo could only be shipped from a service center, but that the service centers cannot provide shipping or ORM-D labels. Several local pack 'n ship stores told me that they could not issue a shipping label for ORM-D packages -that could only be done online through an account.

Based on my gun shipping experiences, I vastly prefer Fed-Ex - but I guess that is not an option.

Such a long, long time to be gone, and a short time to be there.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.