March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (Jimmy W, Marc Ret, 1 invisible), 348 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,001
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Well I got this gun on a trade for my compound bow that I was only asking $650 for. Couldnt trun down the offer. I'd say shes about 95%.

Anhyway , it's got 28" barrels, full/mod choked.

I pheasant hunt quite a few time a year and have been using my Browning Semi with IC choke.

Whats the consensus here think about having choke tubes installed. I checked with Briley, Way too much for me, over $400. Then I checked Carlsons, $190 both barrels with three chokes. I know some guys will say Briley, but financially just not in the position to do that.

Last edited by rfkhunter; 05/22/14 09:36 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I would do Light Mod fixed chokes , about .015. Will work for everything and not screw up the gun with Briley type chokes.

gjw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

First off, welcome to the Forum! Lot's of great folks here and lot's of great knowledge and advise, hope you enjoy it here.

I guess what kind of pheasant hunting? Wild or pen raised? With or without dogs (pointer or flushers)? Chokes for pheasants can run the gambit depending on how you hunt and where. Perhaps if you can give some details, it would help. A general rule for most upland birds is IC/Mod (.010/.020), but that can vary, all depends.

As to tubing, heck it's your gun, do with her what you like. I think tubes can be a real bonus. A Browning BSS is not a vintage Brit gun, so if you want choke tubes, go for it.

You may want to check these folks out:

http://www.colonialarms.com/

Again, Welcome and Good Luck!

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
Sidelock
Sidelock

Before I determined that I had a problem, I would use the BSS first with the ammunition I use on pheasants. At the minimum pattern the gun.
Have you actually measured the constrictions with a professional bore gauge to determine actual choke? Not the brass things that you stick in the bore.
After I had done those things, I would make a decision.
And then If I determined that the chokes were too tight, I would not install tubes but only change to IC/Mod.-Dick

Last edited by Dick_dup1; 05/22/14 10:55 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I would go with just opening the chokes if what you are used to is open choke. It should cost you no more than $50 per barrel to open those F/M chokes to IC and Mod...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

If you are on a tight budget and if the gun has the selective trigger, you might tube only the tighter barrel and just reverse the firing order to suit the conditions. A friend has a BSS 12 with Briley in one barrel and it works very well for him.

Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Sorry should have given more specifics.

I hunt penned birds. it also may vary if Im over a pointer or flusher. Depending on who I hunt with.

Unfortunately I do not have a selective trigger. Wheni was using my semi, I used an IC choke, and now that Im thinking about I never changed it, whether it was over a pointer or flusher.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Dick_dup1
Before I determined that I had a problem, I would use the BSS first with the ammunition I use on pheasants. At the minimum pattern the gun.
Have you actually measured the constrictions with a professional bore gauge to determine actual choke? Not the brass things that you stick in the bore.
After I had done those things, I would make a decision.
And then If I determined that the chokes were too tight, I would not install tubes but only change to IC/Mod.-Dick

Further to what Dick said, if you still find it patterns too tight, you can also consider spreader shells like Polywads or spreader inserts if you reload.

I have a gun marked IC/Mod but that shoots tighter. I reload using Polywad Spread-R discs.

gjw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi, in that case I'd just open the chokes to a tighter Skeet/light IC (.007) in the right bbl and Lt Mod (.015) in the left. For the kind of hunting your doing I'd forget the tubes.

Good Luck!

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
Sidelock
Sidelock

I suggest you pattern the gun using the brand of shells and shot size you plan to use at the distances you normally shoot each barrel. Based on this information adjust the chokes if necessary by having them opened. Save your pattern sheets to compare with the new results. You may need to go through the process more than once. I would be conservative in the amount opened since it is more difficult to add choking. I am fortunate to have a local gunsmith so that I can do a little at the time to achieve the desired results without over doing.

Good Luck,
Riprap

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.