May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
7 members (graybeardtmm3, Ken Nelson, Argo44, Krag 1902, Jimmy W, 1 invisible), 710 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,506
Posts545,601
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sure would be nice to see the proof marks
Mike

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
PM Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: ejsxs
Humpty & PM,

yes H&H is a way to go, the problem is that the gun's bores have straight rifling from the forcing cone onwards up to three inch from the muzzle. In addition the bores are .730" only. One possible way to go would be to backbore to .735" (the H&H standard), leaving the last three inch of twisted rifling. Barrel wall minimun is now .040" and measures .055" min. in the "choke" area. .

As to the rifling, yes I may call it invisible, it has six grooves. The are no chokes at all, the only difference there is the twist and barrel wall thickness. Hope the British audience may have something to say on how they are currenlty using these ball and shot guns.

On another issue, yes it is surpring the unusual chamber length, it may have been enlarged.

EJSXS

Your bore measurements sound mint DO NOT ALTER THEM IN ANY WAY The invisible rifled guns' bores are tighter than rifled choke guns. I suspect your chambers were enlarged at some point in time.

Last edited by PM; 06/05/14 08:46 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Humpty & PM,

yes H&H is a way to go, the problem is that the gun's bores have straight rifling from the forcing cone onwards up to three inch from the muzzle.

This is not a problem. This is the description of "Jungle Gun". It was developed as a way to create a ball-and-shot gun while not infringing Fosberry's patent. The patent was for a gun which was rifled only in the choke, and since in Jungle Gun you have rifling which goes all the way in the barrel, there's no infringement of the patent.

Of course, if the contemporary Paradox bullet is greater than the groove (rather than bore) dia. of your gun, it would be not safe to shoot.

A ball-and-shot gun seems to be a good option for hunting big game in the brush, if most shots are under 50 yards, and the longest don't exceed 100.

ejsxs Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Pictures had been posted on first message. More to come soon.

EJSXS

Last edited by ejsxs; 06/06/14 09:25 AM.
PM Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Humpty Dumpty
Humpty & PM,

yes H&H is a way to go, the problem is that the gun's bores have straight rifling from the forcing cone onwards up to three inch from the muzzle.

This is not a problem. This is the description of "Jungle Gun". It was developed as a way to create a ball-and-shot gun while not infringing Fosberry's patent. The patent was for a gun which was rifled only in the choke, and since in Jungle Gun you have rifling which goes all the way in the barrel, there's no infringement of the patent.

Of course, if the contemporary Paradox bullet is greater than the groove (rather than bore) dia. of your gun, it would be not safe to shoot.

A ball-and-shot gun seems to be a good option for hunting big game in the brush, if most shots are under 50 yards, and the longest don't exceed 100.

Hey nice gun. There is considerable difference in the rifling between the two methods with the Fosbery design having much deeper rifling at the choke and other nuances as the bullet and or shot proceeded up the barrel.

The later nitro paradoxes were capable of accuracy beyond 100yds with the Super Magnum Explora producing muzzle energy in the 375 HH range.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Holland & Holland Paradox ammo is very pricey. I tried Sellior & Bellot slug ammo loaded with a Brenneke slug in 65mm. cases in a friend's Paradox gun. They come in packs of five. And lo and behold they shot and regulated perfectly. Much, much cheaper. Not saying that they will be perfect in your gun but worth experimenting with. Lagopus.....

ejsxs Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

PM, Lagopus,

thanks, I certainly will not go beyond 100 meters with mine, nor the local conditions for boar and free range deer will allow in southern Chile. S& B are well represented here and will ask wether they have or import the Brenneke slug.

EJSXS

Sidelock
Sidelock

PM, a question for you. Do you think that back, say, in 1900 or 1910 all Paradox, Jungle Gun, Colindians were meant to shoot basically the same ammo - meanind, the same 1 3/4 oz conical made for 12 bore rifles, and differing only in powder loads? So that an owner could use factory ammo, and won't be limited to casting own bullets and rolling their own cartridges? And so the intended bullet's diameter for most guns of this kind should also be the same?

__

Btw. The records of the first public trials of Paradox quoted in Teasedale-Buckell's Experts on Guns and Shooting mention firing the gun with round ball, and reporting good accuracy. If I lay my hands on a Paradox some time, I guess a ball over 3 dram of BP would be the first load it will see.

PM Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

[quote=Humpty Dumpty]PM, a question for you. Do you think that back, say, in 1900 or 1910 all Paradox, Jungle Gun, Colindians were meant to shoot basically the same ammo - meanind, the same 1 3/4 oz conical made for 12 bore rifles, and differing only in powder loads? So that an owner could use factory ammo, and won't be limited to casting own bullets and rolling their own cartridges? And so the intended bullet's diameter for most guns of this kind should also be the same?

__

[/quote

Maybe. But because I know there were various loadings 28,30,33,36, 41 and 47 grains of cordite within just the rifled choke offerings all after 1900, I wouldn't presume all bullets for every system were .735. I would err on the side of caution, start with a .729 or .730 bullet and a light load. A good mold throwing a paradox conical and several sizers would be the ticket.

PM Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: lagopus
Holland & Holland Paradox ammo is very pricey. I tried Sellior & Bellot slug ammo loaded with a Brenneke slug in 65mm. cases in a friend's Paradox gun. They come in packs of five. And lo and behold they shot and regulated perfectly. Much, much cheaper. Not saying that they will be perfect in your gun but worth experimenting with. Lagopus.....

I am sorry, I would never fire modern slug ammo in a period ball and shot gun or a paradox. For the most part these are load your own type guns.

Last edited by PM; 06/07/14 01:37 AM. Reason: grammer
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.