May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
2 members (steve f, Mike Harrell), 810 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,501
Posts545,496
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
1cdog Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Did anyone do any good at Holts auction today?

I was looking for a small bore sidelock but didn't see anything I really wanted so I sat this one out. The small bore sidelocks that did appeal to me had issues such as poor barrel wall thickness.

Always another auction though............

Sidelock
Sidelock

How do you get your successful bids to the USA, if that's where you live?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: eightbore

Bill, I've used John Farugia, owner of Cheshire Gun Room, Stockport, UK. He has always treated me fairly. He will go to Holt's, Bonham's, etc. and collect your guns pack & ship them to you for a very nominal fee.

Best Regards, George

To see my guns go to www.mylandco.com Select "SPORTING GUNS " My E-Mail palmettotreasure@aol.com
Boxlock
Boxlock

I tried to follow it during a day at work. prices, especially for accessories, looked to be good. Side by sides for actually shooting with rather than collecting seem not be so good. Im trying to avoid buying but was attracted to a 12 bore William Powell with lift up toplever in damascus. Quality work from the one of the best Birmingham makers This was unsold - I havent seen the wall thicknesses though.
tim

1cdog Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: eightbore

eightbore, through the years I have used a variety of methods on my bids. I do live in the USA.

The methods I use usually begins with how REALLY interested I am in an item, how busy I am that day or days leading up to the auctions.

As far as how do I get successful bids, I think I have won bids 3 different ways. (1.) I have just placed an absentee bid and left it at that. (2.) Hired someone to be there in person to bid for me. (3.) I have also used the Invaluable online (live) bidding process.

I have won and lost items using all of the above bidding processes.

Again, there are some items that may be a "must" for me and I will act accordingly, by hiring someone to be at the auction for me or using the Invaluable online live bidding. Just leaving a bid, unless its way high, at least for me, is the easy way of doing things, and you usually get rewarded for what kind of effort/resources you invest - meaning I lose most of those.

There are so many auctions, so often, that unless something is a "must" item I don't get that worked up over it because inevitably there will be something a little nicer and more of what I wanted that will appear in the "next" auction.

I have used Harry Gordon for exporting items bought at Holts.

Small Bore has an interesting article on his website about Firearm auctions. He obviously knows what he is talking about and I did enjoy the article. That said I don't know that I agree with some of the conclusions he seems to draw.

Last edited by 1cdog; 06/20/14 07:01 AM.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.