Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I just acquired a Ugartechea 12ga SXS.
Appears to be a grade 1 boxlock (Color case hardened receiver with no engraving)
G2 on the flats would be made in 1987 I have surmised.
Do they have a model # ?
Any idiosyncrasies I should know about?
Any forums anywhere specific to these or Spanish Guns in particular?
Thank you,

AIN'T MUCH A MAN CAN'T FIX
WITH SEVEN HUNDRED DOLLARS AND A THIRTY OUGHT SIX
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Serial # on the table is 184039

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sounds about like a model 30, a gun that has been in production for many years-a picture or two would help.
If it has double triggers and extractors, it will likely be a sound using gun. Single triggers and ejectors aren't well thought of. Mine has a hidden third fastener, 3" chambers and disc set strikers, nice features, but, not essential.
Good luck with the new gun.

Best,
Ted

gjw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi Ted, say, just curious, why wouldn't ejectors well thought of? The ST, I can agree on, no doubt there.

Best!

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Yes it has Double triggers and extractors.
Thanks so far for the info.
I am lacking much knowledge of Spanish guns but sensing these
may be fairly good quality guns.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I like to hunt in adverse conditions and decided that the relatively inexpensive used Spanish SxS were just the ticket for my adventures. After a reasonable collection of various entry-level Spanish guns passed into and through my hands, I settled on a Model 30 as my favorite. For whatever reason, this gun has "it," that nebulous quality that brings down the birds.

Congratulations on a finely built gun, I hope you enjoy yours as much as I have mine.

Best, Rob.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: gjw
Hi Ted, say, just curious, why wouldn't ejectors well thought of? The ST, I can agree on, no doubt there.

Best!

Greg

Simpler is better. I believe the Spaniards were quite capable of building very good quality into their guns, but, most importers to the US were more interested in keeping the price as competitive as possible. I can imagine the frustration of the Spanish makers hearing every year how the guns had to be 10-20 dollars cheaper. My model 30, built in 1972, is actually engraved, something that went away in later versions.
We users of these guns are better served when they aren't at the gunsmith for repairs.
Rob, that first photo belongs on a magazine cover. Outstanding.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Wannagohunting, try an get hold of a copy of the book Spanis Best by Terry Weiland as there is a whole chapter dedicated to Ugartechea. Good book and worth owning a copy.

Nice Chessie Rob. I have two at the moment and have owned and worked the breed since 1986. Challenging dogs but I wouldn't have any other breed. Lagopus.....

gjw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Ted Schefelbein
Originally Posted By: gjw

Best!

Greg

Simpler is better. I believe the Spaniards were quite capable of building very good quality into their guns, but, most importers to the US were more interested in keeping the price as competitive as possible. I can imagine the frustration of the Spanish makers hearing every year how the guns had to be 10-20 dollars cheaper. My model 30, built in 1972, is actually engraved, something that went away in later versions.
We users of these guns are better served when they aren't at the gunsmith for repairs.
Rob, that first photo belongs on a magazine cover. Outstanding.

Best,
Ted

Hi Ted, while simpler may be better, I've owned several Spanish guns over the years and never had any problems with their ejectors. They've always been timed well and always have ejected quite well. ST as we both agree are another matter. Seems like the Spanish just can't get this right (as well as other makers). Oh well, guess we can't always agree. I respect your opinion.

WGH, as Ted said, these are good simple guns and tend to be a cut above most of the lesser Spanish makers. Uggies have a very good track record. You could do a lot worse.

Good Luck!

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have an older (1951) Uggie SLE, and my son shoots a shortened 1960-70ish Falcon, which I think is much like the model 30. I have had both of them to a gunsmith to have firing pins put in them. The old SLE is getting ready to go back for another round of them.

I think they are great guns for the money, and as your gun is much newer (and yet after Diarm) I think it will give you good service. You can spend much more on a Spanish SxS, but I don't think you need to.

If you do ever have a need for service Cole Haugh is the guy.

CHAZ

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.