April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,094 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,469
Posts545,142
Members14,409
Most Online1,299
Apr 26th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
KY Jon Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I took one of those three hour tours yesterday, driving up and back to look at a few guns from an "estate". Friend of a friend gave someone my contact information and I have been getting a series of photos, taken by a cell phone, that gave me hope enough to drive about a hundred miles each way to look at a few guns. Typical seller of estate guns claimed that he was not well versed in guns but knew that Lefevers were old so hence rare and valuable. Yada, yada, yada, we all hear that line when dealing with sellers who wish to be vague about facts.

The gun I liked best was a pivot lever opener that was a 16 ga. Lefever I was told. I have a 10 and 12 pivot lever but no 16 so this was the gun I was interested in mostly. In fact I could not remember even holding a 16 pivot lever. I guessed that the 16 would be "rarer" than the 10 and 12 as they dominated sales in that period. By serial number it was late for a pivot lever but as we say you never know with Lefevers. There were half a dozen guns with at least two other Lefevers in the background so I figured it was worth the trip. They were priced high, but asking price mostly is these days. Sale price is either agreeable or you come home empty handed which bothers me less and less everyday.

Now is when I usually crow about finding the last perfect gun. We all like to find that kind of stuff. Well the laugh is on me this time. The seller deftly mixed and matched pictures of the three Lefevers to create the "16", which by the way was a 10-12 ga. photo compilation. Mixing photos of three guns to make it look like one gun. Knew it right away when I got there but after the long drive I looked anyways. Six gun in total to look at. Seller claimed he did not know the ga sizes and figured the larger one was a 12 instead of the 10 it was. Yeah right, but I was here so I looked anyways.

Back home I reconstructed how it was done using pictures of all three guns. It was an artful con in my estimation. The "bore" pictures were of the 10, the stock wrist were of the DS on both sides, the rear of the stock was of the 12 on one side and the ten on the second, top of the receiver was of the 10 pivot lever. The barrels were mostly of the DS with one one the 10 and one section of the 12 I think. The picture of the bores I got was of the 10 bores that was fairly good inside. Poor lighting sets the mood, or in this case blends all the photos.

The 10 ga was junk mostly. The action was decent but stock and barrels were not. Upon inspection the ribs were loose, partly missing and externally it was badly pitted. Stock was broken and repaired with 19 small nails. I counted them. It was a 10 pivot lever but in extremely bad shape.

The other two Lefevers were 12's, a beater DS and a G grade with barrels ruined be some of the worst internal pitting I have seen outside of a sewer pipe. The G grade was also cracked in three places at the wrist but at least no nails yet. The DS was at least a solid gun, not much finish left with only one minor flaw, the LOP was right on 10". Must have been a child's first gun at some point or else a leprechauns pigeon gun.

There were two rifles, which were .22's that had bores so bad that the rifling was almost invisible. They were trash. There was one .45 auto that must have been a bring back by some serviceman. It was in very nice shape with only one minor flaw. The serial numbers had all been removed, grinding is not a new engraving style. I am sure the numbers have been gone for fifty-sixty years. But I refuse to even think about buying a pistol with that type of custom work these days.

All in all it was an easy estate sale to pass up. Five grand for everything I was told. Or the three Lefevers were being sold as a group at 3500 asking price, or my choice at 1500 each. The .22's were 400 each, worth perhaps that for the pair if in 90% condition, as parts guns or projects ten bucks each to me. The .45 I did not even ask. Like I said an easy group of guns to pass up on.

Now most people would have been pissed about wasting more than half a day on such a venture. Not me. I've been able to find a few gems in such places. I would have bought the .45 if it had serial numbers. I still have my money and hope next time will be better. And best of all I do not own that pile of trash. If the seller bought those guns for a grand, which I suspect he did, he will never get his money out of them. And if he gets caught with that .45 his problems are just starting I told him. And he wondered why I put on white glove to handle those guns, no finger prints I told him to cause rust. Little did I know rust might not be the worst problem. Like I said I am happy and it was a lovely day for a drive.

Last edited by KY Jon; 07/20/14 10:47 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Interesting Jon. I've just made plans to drive a little bit farther to see a large number of SxSs recently acquired by the seller. Mostly hammer guns but five or six box locks. Seller is both vague and glib. English and Belgian. Just a few pics of piles of guns. Impossible to tell anything from them. But, I need to be within 30 minutes of the place anyway and who knows what might be under all the dirt and grime.

Hopefully the weather will be good. smile

Last edited by canvasback; 07/20/14 11:16 AM.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
KY Jon Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Wish I could ride along. It is a lot of fun looking. I have had hits and misses before but not one so deliberately fashioned to entice with such crap on the other end. I actually like vague pictures sometimes. Bid on more than one auction in spite of or because of bad photos. Hope your lot turns out better than mine did this time.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: KY Jon
...some of the worst internal pitting I have seen outside of a sewer pipe.

smile

The island where I live is 9 miles left to right, and 5 miles top to bottom. Difficult to have a long drive to view anything!

A 1911 with a filed-off serial number. Whoa! Time to leave.

Nigel

P.S. I always enjoy this forum - whatever the topic.

Sidelock
Sidelock

KY Jon, that sounds like you were dealing with a budding superstar Internet gun dealer.

Last edited by 1cdog; 07/20/14 06:59 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
"The serial numbers had all been removed, grinding is not a new engraving style. I am sure the numbers have been gone for fifty-sixty years. But I refuse to even think about buying a pistol with that type of custom work these days."

It very likely that the serial number could have been retrieved easily. Most people don't know that the serial number on Government 1911's is also stamped under the firing pin retainer at the back of the slide. Most people erasing the serial number wouldn't even know it's there.
Jim

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Would you happen to have the serial numbers of the Lefevers?

Great-Great Grandson of D.M. Lefever
www.lefevercollectors.com
KY Jon Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Dr Bob the pivot serial number was a 152xx as I recall. It was a 10 not a 16 as claimed. To your knowledge were there more than a handful of 16's with a pivot lever? I do not recall ever seeing one but all told I may have seen 800-1000 Lefevers in person. I do try to look at any that cross my path.

Corrected serial number. Mistake was 252 correct was 152. It does make about five years difference in production dates.

Last edited by KY Jon; 07/21/14 11:14 AM.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.