May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
6 members (SKB, smlekid, AGS, Jimmy W, 2 invisible), 298 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,506
Posts545,599
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#374415 08/03/14 11:29 PM
KY Jon Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Sometimes I need someone to save me from myself. I was looking at a 24 ga. double today. Belgian made by Auguste Francotte. Call it a lower mid level gun in very nice condition. Of course it was like new as 24 gauge shells are not readily available and has most likely been unfired since the shells ran out from the serviceman duffel bag it came back in after WWII.

Price was too high for what to me is a dead gauge. I mean I own, shoot and reload 10, 12, 16 20 28 and .410's already so I go from too big to too small and even like the often reported dead 16. The 24 2 1/2", while fitting in between the 20 and 28 is not a high performance as the 28 and I still liked it.

The lure of the 24 almost had me and I have to admit that there was no reason for me to buy a 24. I do not own a 24 gauge loader, have a single component on hand or even have a manual with a selection of 24 gauge loads. And still I am turning over the deal in my head. The only thing that I can figure is that I must need a 24 for some reason that eludes me. Perhaps it is that the upcoming dove season is around the corner and I have never taken a limit of doves with a 24. Perhaps just too much work and not enough play.

I just do not want to end up in GA, Guns Anonymous. You know, that group meeting where you stand up and say your name and tell all that you owned an shot guns in the past and have been clean and non firing for so many days. GA, Guns Anonymous and the only prevention may be a 24. Perhaps I will call mid week to see if the seller wants to come down a few hundred more.

Sidelock
Sidelock

You need to buy the 24 because it's not a 32. The 32 will come later.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have never regretted buying a gun.

But there are quite a few guns I regret not buying.

I'm afraid you've come to the wrong place to get talked out of this crazy thought. Please post pics after you buy it.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I see no reason not to get it. Italians or Spaniards probably still load ammo for this gauge. If I was able to buy loaded ammo I would buy the gun. The upside is your hunting buddies will not be able to borrow ammo off you. The downside is you will always have to carry your own ammo w/ you. Ammo not available at Walmart which is about the only place in US likely close to hunting lands.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I looked at a very nice 24 gauge years ago. I resisted the temptation and have never regretted the decision. I did not buy a buddy's V. Bernardelli 20 gauge, because he let me use it all the time. He couldn't shoot it worth a darn. When I decided to make him an offer I drove over there, and he had sold it. I have always regretted that.

Sidelock
Sidelock

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

When you buy the gun, I have a 24 ga. roll crimping head that you might can get very cheap. smile

Sidelock
Sidelock

Look upon you purchase as an act of charity, you are saving one of us from buying it and once again figuring out how to explain to our wife and or ourselves on just why did I "need" that.

I long ago gave up on "need," as after the base gun in my arsenal (16ga SLE) I needed nothing more. Somehow I have justified through careful theological and philosophical inquiry the requirement for two more SXS shotguns and two Double rifles. Currently I am undergoing a spirit journey to another SxS if the price can be made more reasonable.

Now onto the real issue, "want & desire" Hell yes if your budget can take it and you want it that much go for it.

If I ever found a matching 24 gauge for my set of SLEs I would sell good stuff to buy it, oddly enough I can't say the same for a 28 gauge. The 28 is a good option, but for an odd reason it and the 410 have no allure for me.

I think most of us on this board have affection for the unusual or we would not shot SxS guns. None of my friends at home do anymore. After you get the basic battery of toys; it is about passion, emotion, and love. It is about those things as money and reason most be overcome to go forward with our hobby.

Last edited by old colonel; 08/04/14 07:59 AM.

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS
Sidelock
Sidelock

I shoot a Remington rolling block ( B quality)in 24ga. It has a full choke barrel. I use Fiocchi and number 7 shot, a nice pattern it 30 yards. Fun gun to use.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Need has nothing to do with desire; and regardless how much one pays for his "toys", they all get a little boring after the "new" wears off. Time to find a new interest before you get too old to enjoy; so get that 24 gauge and a sister 32 gauge to compliment your fine tastes. Heck fire, I surely would! As a matter of fact, I've already purchased a box of 24 gauge Fiocchi and two boxes of 32 gauge for that eventful day when I get my chance. I actually have a 32 gauge H & R single shot dart gun, but the chamber of that gun is too short for a 2 1/2" shell. Brother Tom Martin will address that issue at some point, as I don't anticipate ever having to dart an angry bull or bear.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.