March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Karl Graebner, Marc Ret, LeFusil, SKB, RWG, Ken Nelson), 282 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,993
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#374767 08/08/14 11:29 AM
johnr Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hope it's ok to post this, it's later than the rifles I usually see here,picked up this pawn shop 03 custom today, Really well done, built on a high number 1918 receiver, Timney trigger and safety, McGowen barrel in 35 Whelen Improved.
Wood is very well finished with excellent checkering, bluing also very well done. Whoever did the work knew what they were doing.
Shop said it had been built in the 80's and the woodsmith was from Woodwardville MD with the last name of Fleming, can not find any information on him, Looks to be a Richards rough stock that has been expertly finished, inletting is very tight and even. Metal work supposedly done by Dempseys Gun and Taxidermy in MD,there again can find no information
Does not look like any corners were cut when this rifle was made. If anyone has any information on the smiths I would appreciate it.I do hope to find a between the wars American rifle some day, for now this will have to do.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Looks like quality work, but the proof will be in the shooting. Hope you already reload!

Sidelock
Sidelock

From the styling, I wonder if it was made earlier than you think. The roll comb and angled forearm cap look more like the 1960s to me.

I don't recognize either of the smiths you've named, but hopefully someone will know them. At least they signed the rifle, so you've got a great starting point for your research.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I was wondering the same thing, Terry. Certainly appears to be quality work but by the 80's the "classic" look was pretty much back in vogue, except for Roy Weatherby's shiny canoe paddles. 'Course, in the late 80's there might have been a successful, middle aged sort of fella who wanted a custom rifle as he remembered them from his youth or young man days. Ain't this just another example of "if only it could talk".

NRA Benefactor 2008
NRA Patron 2007
NRA Endowment 1996
NRA Life 1988
Sidelock
Sidelock

Richard Dempsey is the taxidermy guy, don't know about gunsmithing. He is off Cabin Creek Road and Route 258 in Anne Arundel County, don't know the town. As far as Woodwardsville goes, google says there are only 27 structures in that town. Knocking on doors and talking to older residents should get your guy very quickly. Good luck. Nice gun.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Dempsey (or his son) does my deer butchering. Hopefully I'll have a reason to see him this fall and I'll inquire re: past gunsmithing.

Last edited by Gary D.; 08/10/14 12:48 PM.
johnr Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks Gary, hope you get a deer and would appreciate any info you might find out.
Someone on another forum suggested pulling it apart, the McGowen barrel may be dated on the underside, I'm a little leery of doing that as the inletting is so tight I'm afraid of doing damage.
Terry, it might be earlier, going by what was relayed by the shop and that could be wrong.
Eightbore, thanks for the info on Woodwardsville, I had never heard of it and I've lived in MD most of my life, shop was in AA county,same as the town.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sure looks 60's. I have a couple of stocks bought back the that are very close in design. I think Roy Weatherby started the trend.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Looks a lot like the Fajen "Aristocrat" style of stock that they offered in their catalog.

johnr Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

RHD45, I think you nailed it, found this online, Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.