April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Der Ami, Jeremy Pearce, LGF, Jimmy W, 2 invisible), 792 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,837
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
SIXSKB Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

How many of you "Old Geezers" have found that as you aged that the perfect stock dimension of your younger years that allowed you to instinctively point and shoot no longer works? Apparently I'm sagging in the shoulders and find that the safe full of shotguns with "modern" dimensions no longer works for me, need to be consciously seeing 3-4 feet of air between barrels and bird. Fortunately I've found that the old shotguns with what today would be considered "excessive" drop fit perfectly, seeing straight down the barrels. I can now point and shoot. The perfect excuse for acquiring more guns besides nostalgia.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Shoulder droop or cheek fattening will both give that symptom you describe. Cheek fattening may also cause cast issues.

I am glad to be here.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I found that up to the age of forty all my guns fitted well give or take! But after that I found that it was I who tried to fit to the guns. But I do find now that my vintage guns with shorter stocks seem to fit a little better. Though I am sure it is down to the lighter loads I now use combined with lighter guns. Though I am a realist because I know I cant walk as far, arthritis in the odd joint or two plus surgery on my right shoulder and elbow and the drop in vision acuteness needing spectacles has not helped to improve overall matters. In other words I am getting old but I sooner have that and far more lost birds than lifes alternative!!!

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ah the joys of decrepitude frown
1. Sarcopenia - age related muscle loss starting after age 30.
2. Increased and redistributed adiposity (fat)
3. Loss of about 1 cm (0.4 inches) of height every 10 years after age 40.
4. Loss of range of motion of joints.
5. Diminished testosterone...uh...we won't go there mad

THE GOOD NEWS is that 1 through 4 can be greatly attenuated by regular physical activity and dietary modification, especially resistance training ie weight lifting as in your 9# target gun smile And swimming is an excellent option as arthritis hits.
Shoot more...eat less (and better)...feel better!

The practical implication is that even with a bigger belly, our faces are thinner (needing less cast and drop), chest muscles smaller (needing less LOP) and we don't swing the gun as well. It's also harder to extend our necks forward leading to head lifting. But we should be getting smarter than those young bucks smile

Sidelock
Sidelock

A good way to go.

Sept. 22, 1923, Lord Ripon, age 71, invited his old crony, the Reverend Morris, and his estate agent Oswald Wade to shoot. There were to be seven drives. As usual the keepers were told to concentrate all the-birds on their employer's blind. Ripon shot over three-quarters of the bag. In the first five drives he shot 40, 17, 25, 17 and 25 grouse. In the sixth he did best of all, and at 3:15 pm he fell to the ground dead. The 53 grouse he shot that drive were never added to his life total.

Sidelock
Sidelock

"Medical Pickwick" Volume 7, 1921

THE SPORT ALLURING by John D. Pollard, M. D., Chicago, Ill.

A man is unfortunate, indeed, who has not a hobby for some outdoor sport. I believe that a good, healthy tramp who has a love for the great out of doors is better off than a millionaire who has none. To my notion the king of all out-door sports is trap shooting, especially for the man who lives in one of the larger cities. There would be a great many more men interested in trap shooting if they only realized that they were welcome to shoot with any gun club in the United States without being a member. Speaking for the club that I belong to, The Lincoln Park Gun Club of Chicago, all any man has to do is to come out to the grounds and let it be known that he is interested in trap shooting. Anyone of the four hundred members will extend to him the right hand of fellowship and bid him welcome to the privileges of the club.

While we generally speak of trap shooting as clay pigeon shooting it has been many years since the real clay pigeon has been used. The target used now is made of a composition of pitch and plaster paris, saucer shaped about four and one-half inches in diameter and about an inch deep. These are thrown from a trap worked by a powerful spring; the trap throws them from fifty to sixty yards, and also gives them a whirling motion which makes them easier to break. While there are a number of experts who think nothing of breaking a hundred straight, the average shooter feels pretty chesty when he manages to break twenty-five straight. Almost all expert shots shoot with both eyes open. This would seem like a difficult matter to a person who has not tried it, but a little practice will show that one can aim better and quicker with both eyes open. Making good scores requires perfect co-ordination of the eye, the brain, and the finger granting that you have normal vision, either with or without glasses.

Then the main factor is nerve control, and practice in trying to make good scores plus right living will go a long way toward acquiring the necessary nerve control. Regular practice at the gun club will make a poor shot good and a good shot better. The ability to make good scores at the trap will not only increase your own confidence in yourself but will also increase the confidence of others in you. Trap shooting is a substitute for game shooting, and for the man who lives in a city and can not spare the time necessary to go to the places where game may be found, while the game . season is closed, it is a most satisfactory substitute. I do not know of a more pleasant or healthy way to spend an afternoon than at the gun club. It takes you out in the open, gives you a reasonable amount of exercise, quickens the eye, and makes you forget all your troubles for the time being.

Trap shooting has many advantages over most of the other sports, either in or out of doors. One is the length of time a man can follow it up. With the exception of golf, a man is done in a few years, but in shooting there is no age limit. We have shooters at the trap from ten years old up to eighty years of age. Andy Meaders, of Tennessee, who took part in the last Grand American Handicap in Chicago, is over eighty years of age and is still shooting and shooting well. Fred Gilbert, of Spirit Lake, Iowa, broke the world's record a few years ago, after he had been shooting as a professional for the Dupont Powder Company over a quarter of a century. His score was 589 straight.

Another pleasant feature of trap shooting is the class of men you meet at the traps. The men that take up trap shooting are all on the square with their fellow-men.. In over a quarter of a century of trap shooting I have only met two men at the traps who were dishonest. It is a sport with a past, present, and future.

A shooter spends many a pleasant hour thinking and talking about shoots that he has been to, spends many pleasant hours at the traps, and is always figuring on those to come. Once a man is stung by the trap shooting bug he is doomed to be a trap shooter as long as he lives, or until he is blind in both eyes. The loss of an arm or leg means nothing in a trap shooter's young life, for at nearly all the shoots you go to, you will find some man taking part who has lost a hand or a foot. George Maxwell, a professional shooter, and one of the best shots in the world, is a one-armed man, and the arm he lost was shot off.

By shooting at the gun club and going to an occasional tournament you will soon have a circle of shooting friends scattered all over the United States, and it will be a source of great pleasure to you to read their scores in the various sportsmen's journals.

Every physician should join a club and take up the sport alluring. Trap shooters never commit suicide; they never die; they just keep on living until they dry up and blow away.

Sidelock
Sidelock

thats sweet

RCC Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

The physical changes that comes with age are more concerning to me in the middle of a cattail bog than however those changes affect gun fit.

Drew' first four, warrants more consideration for me than the need to change the stock dimensions of all the guns in my safe.

I can't surrender to the role of blocker. I would rather miss a bird flushed deep in the grunch, than to shoot pass shoot one flushed by others.

Striking more deeply into my heart is knowing and seeing age changing my good dogs' physical being as much as mine. Now 72, I know that when they, or more correctly, when the youngest no longer can hunt, neither will I. I am too old to start and finish the kind of dog that has served me so well this last half century.

Someone else can change the guns' dimensions.

bc
Sidelock
Sidelock

I didn't know my stock dimensions when I was younger. Thanks to a mentor I became a decent shot in my forties. At that time my shotguns changed from a full choked SA to SxS's and later increased in quality from BSS's to an AyA and a Parker Reproduction. Eight years ago I had the AyA and Parker altered to fit to me. I'm now 74 and with respect to wild bird shooting I'm happy with my abilities, which are as good as they have ever been.

Jim
Sidelock
Sidelock

Naw, I don't think we're changing. It must be the lumber that changes over time.

[IMG]
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.