April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (bushveld, Stanton Hillis, Kip, 2 invisible), 401 guests, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,443
Posts544,796
Members14,405
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#378512 09/22/14 05:03 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I've noticed a crack in this forend; it's above the peak in the checkering (the smaller mark below the peak appears to be a grain line). What's involved in the proper repair? If it's simple a glue job is it something I should attempt myself? I'm handy but have to admit I haven't done much work on guns. It's an ejector forend; what kind of grief would I cause myself taking it apart and putting it back together? Thanks...

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. - Albert Einstein
Fin2Feather #378513 09/22/14 05:10 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Easy preemptive repair. Just pull the forend iron off, carefully spread the crack apart, drop some super glue in, then carefully clamp the crack closed. All that's left is to polish off the excess then reapply some oil if necessary. That's a common place for cracks to start, the wood is pretty thin there on ejector guns.

Last edited by gunmaker; 09/22/14 05:13 PM.

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC.
Mineola, TX
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com
682-554-0044
gunmaker #378516 09/22/14 05:32 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I am far from an expert, perhaps that is why I am always afraid to "open up" a crack.

I have in the past used accraglas, and a heat gun (hair dryer will do fine). I put the glass on the inside of the forend and hit it with the heat gun. It will run and leach into the crack. I wipe the excess off the outside and call it a day.

If the crack appears to be open I wrap electrical tape (sticky side out) around the piece to hold it tight until it sets. Just make sure the glass is wiped off good underneath the tape.

Let it sit to dry with the finished side up, so gravity doesn't pull any of the glass out onto the finish.

This has worked on some pretty nasty cracks for me, your mileage may vary.

CHAZ

Fin2Feather #378518 09/22/14 06:02 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I will add this:
When you spread the crack apart do it from the underside if possible as this can compress the wood some leaving a gap. I use epoxy** for these types of repairs as it one of the strongest adhesives available. I also clamp until cured. Make sure you use padding under the clamp so as not to damage the wood.
**Heat can affect super glue so I don't use it for firearm repairs.
Jim

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Fin2Feather #378521 09/22/14 06:55 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I spread the crack, and then on underside I slip in a toothpick to keep it spread. I squeeze 24 hour epoxy into the crack with a disposable glue syringe (hobby store) and then force the epoxy in even deeper with compressed air,I next repeat the process. Finally, I pull out the toothpick squeeze the crack shut, wipe off any excess epoxy that squeezes out and the wrap it with a long piece of bicycle inner tube (or piece of rubber surgical tubing), and let it cure overnight. After I remove the tubing the next day I'll remove any excess epoxy with 0000 steel wool and then refinish the repaired area with Tru-Oil.

Last edited by Rockdoc; 09/22/14 06:57 PM.

Approach life like you do a yellow light - RUN IT! (Gail T.)
Fin2Feather #378527 09/22/14 08:35 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

One more word on this. Taking off the metal is easy and comes out all in one piece, but don't get ambitious and try to disassemble the fore-end metal any further. Any of the repair methods mentioned above should work just fine on that crack, and I'll bet the smaller "grain line" is probably an incipient crack as well. You'll be able tell for sure when you remove the metal...Geo

Geo. Newbern #378538 09/22/14 10:22 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I am a big user of Super Glue in my shop, but it has pitfalls on stock work. I just did a forearm on a inexpensive Hunter Arms gun. Screw holding the iron had stripped, Drilled the punky wood out let in a dowel super gluing it.

Super glue found a crack that was invisible and ran outside on the finish drying in a few seconds. Stuff is so hard only a complete re-finish will cure the unsightly run.

Better to use something that has a longer working time. 2 part epoxy is best, runs out of the crack you have time to clean it up before it sets.

Boats

Fin2Feather #378540 09/22/14 10:35 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Super glue remover or debonder will remove the overruns when you have an accident like that.

AIN'T MUCH A MAN CAN'T FIX
WITH SEVEN HUNDRED DOLLARS AND A THIRTY OUGHT SIX
Boats #378548 09/23/14 12:33 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Unless a real large area a file that does not dig into the wood can save stripping. If you get the glue off a little rub of Dembart Checkering oil will blend in to most finishes.

wannagohunting #378549 09/23/14 12:52 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have been repairing gun stocks for over 10years.
Hairline cracks are easily repaired with thin super glue.
It will literally seep completely across one side of a stock to the other where you would never get any epoxy to run to. It will also sometimes seep into a crack you never knew was there. Or you will be seeping it into a crack and be astonished that the crack was much longer than you thought because you can see the hairline getting damp. Small hairline cracks can be fixed w/o creating a overflow mess by dripping some thin super glue in a cap of some sort and dipping a toothpick in the glue and dabbing it into the crack. If you are on bare wood simply sand over the top before it dries after wicking and the fix is invisible from the sanding dust sticking into the damp glue. I do use epoxy anywhere I can get the 2 parts seperated enough. And I also use gap filling super glue in some places.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.