Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

When you get a chance pull the stock and possibly the buttplate to see if a stockmaker's name can be found.
Johnson did great metal work, not much with stocks. I've seen a few with wood by Hal Hartley who did magnificent work, this looks like it could be his.
Shoot it, they can be very accurate. If that's G&H brass, better still.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jerry,
Enjoy it and let us know what you find. I may be kicking my rear before this is over. It was my prebid that you trumped and I set there forever thanking about raising you (unknown at the time) as it closed. I think what kept me from doing it was the stock looked short and I had forgotten to ask about length of pull. Hope it is as sweet as it looks and glad to see someone who will appreciate it get it, Guess you'll have to take up handloading now!
Thaine

It ain't ignorance that does the most damage, it's knowing so derned much that ain't so! J. Billings
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Tim: I will pull the stock/buttplate when I get home from Deer Hunting. I have a heavy 10 pointer located, scraping and rubbing to beat the band. I will be hunting him with a G&H .270 Win. that belonged to my Dad. Wish me luck!

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thaine: I was amazed there was no more bidding, but if it makes you feel any better, I am always prepared to go the distance on rifles like this. However in mitigation, if I decide to let it go, I'll post it here first.

Sidelock
Sidelock

As I have said before,you need to take up handloading yourself. In addition to having a lot of fun, you won't have to depend on someone else being able to load ammo for you. Some of us would be happy to help.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'd second that on the reloading. My Lovell is a tack driver with either 50 gr. Vmax or 37 gr. Calhoon slugs over AA1680 with reasonable pressures to preserve that brass.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Mike: I'm still practicing Law and running a Law Firm and if I took up handloading again, I wouldn't have any time to go hunting. When I retire in 3 years, then I can reconsider time allocation! Thanks for the offer.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Everybody has to decide for themselves what they want to use their time for. I don't want other people telling me what to do with my time, so I won't try to tell someone else.To me hand loading doesn't take away from hunting, it is part of hunting.Anyway, over here in Alabama it gets too dark to hunt at night.When I was still working,I was a workaholic, so I understand about the job.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

Excellent if it is a repeater--I understand that took some serious gunsmithing to achieve. (But I wouldn't ever kick an accurate single shot of any action type out of the safe, either).

Sidelock
Sidelock

I had an early pre-bid on that rifle also. I wanted to bid live, but had family obligations. Beautiful rifle. The grandson will provide information.

Don't trust that there were only two bids. That auction was listed on both Proxibid and Invaluable as I recall.

Splitting off the scopes is done often. I understand doing it. Their job is to maximize the return for the consignor and the auction.

Mike
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.