April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Jimmy W, Stanton Hillis, Sandlapper, Ted Schefelbein, Replacement, 1 invisible), 1,147 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,469
Posts545,142
Members14,409
Most Online1,271
Apr 26th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#381168 10/20/14 09:59 PM
james-l Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I learn something every day, and a lot of times it's that what I learned the day before was wrong

Sidelock
Sidelock

Interesting piece. It should restore well enough; is it a real purdey? The signature is very worn and hardly decipherable.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Were Purdeys of that vintage Birmingham or London-sourced guns? Wasn't Purdey, like many others, at least initially, sellers of sourced guns as well as Makers? Wasn't it made long before Purdey had patented his own sidelock action, as well as before he bought the Beesley-patented self-opening action that he's used ever since?

Last edited by Ken61; 10/21/14 07:49 AM.

I prefer wood to plastic, leather to nylon, waxed cotton to Gore-Tex, and split bamboo to graphite.
Sidelock
Sidelock

It appears have been converted to a percussion ignition.

The current issue of Shooting Sportsman shows David Trevallion's
Purdey No. 208 and the one in your link isn't even close.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Ken61
Were Purdeys of that vintage Birmingham or London-sourced guns? Wasn't Purdey, like many others, at least initially, sellers of sourced guns as well as Makers? Wasn't it made long before Purdey had patented his own sidelock action, as well as before he bought the Beesley-patented self-opening action that he's used ever since?

James Purdey only built best guns in house from the moment he set up shop. There was a time, around the turn of the last century that to keep up with demand of lower grade guns, Purdey did bring in semi-finished guns from the Birmingham trade to finish in house. These guns were always marked as to what grade they were (not best), and their production ran parallel to Purdey's normal output. This was long after the percussion period.

This gun does not appear to be a genuine Purdey. While the name is hard to read, it looks like it is one letter short. I think I see 5 characters, not 6 as in Purdey. I think I read "Purdy" which is the classic spelling on a Belgian fake.

Secondly, unless the barrels are a replacement, they are not of best quality. There are no blowout plugs.

Finally, the engraving isn't close to the quality of work that Purdey guns have in that time period.

“I left long before daylight, alone but not lonely.”~Gordon Macquarrie
Sidelock
Sidelock

The one thing that is troubling me about the gun is the engraving is of a rather poor standard. Purdey did buy in locks built by Joseph Brazier their quality was second to none when they were manufacturing for prestigious London makers. In the photograph is my own Bar in wood from the 1860s with Brazier locks though it is percussion rather than muzzle loading though the engraving is typical of Purdey’s early guns, also Purdey only made and sold the best guns and I do feel that the gun in the photograph misses that elevated position by a long way.

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a Purdey for sale at Griffin & Howe. Two 12b bbl sets, a Huey case, in proof and built in 1906. They are asking $26,500.
I can have that price lowered.
Dan Crowley

Sidelock
Sidelock

This gun is probably Belgian or Birmingham made. The triggers and guard are too thick and not elegant. The engraving is typically Belgian. The real proof would be to see if the name and address are on the barrel, spelled correctly, and the proof marks are right. Also, it would be nice to see the underside of the locks.

I have worked on many Purdeys in my time and if this is the real deal, it will be my first time to see one of such poor quality. Caveat, they are poor pictures making if difficult to discern for sure.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The last picture on the lock plate shows the name as Purdy. I think you have a fake there. Not Purdey quality and in real junk condition. A pass on that one. Lagopus.....

Sidelock
Sidelock

The last picture on the lock plate shows the name as Purdy. I think you have a fake there. Not Purdey quality and in real junk condition. A pass on that one. Lagopus.....

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.