May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (Birdog, Ted Schefelbein, bsteele, Jtplumb), 801 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,501
Posts545,496
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I won this rifle today on auction at a very fair price. It has been converted by Sedgley to 22 WCF HORNET from a .22 1922 M1. It has a Griffin and Howe side mount already on it. It is also drilled and tapped. The stock is reminiscent of a series of stocks done by Adolph Niedner. Here are a few STOCK PICS. I would appreciate any opinions as to who did this stock work.

Sidelock
Sidelock

"Outsider Art"

Boy you sure make some imaginative attributions…
Niedner it's not.

You asked?

Last edited by SDH-MT; 10/26/14 12:27 AM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Steve: I was hoping for unbiased opinions. As I seem to recall your identification acumen is such, that you and Petrov thought a 1903 with White forearm tip and gripcap, that he had bought for a pittance without a bolt, was the VERY same rifle pictured in his Book 1 on page 143 [in the rifle rack, single view] with Harvey W. Rodgers. Your theory [yours and his] was, there weren't many 1903 with these distinctive accoutrements, alas it had to be that rifle! I'm sure you will get a chance to buy it when his estate auction takes place. Alas I've seen 25 OR MORE SIMILAR RIFLES [1903'S W/WHITE FIXTURES] FOR SALE SINCE THEN. However this misses the point, that in your RUSH to gleeful delight, in discrediting my rifle you failed to carefully read the question. I said it was "reminiscent" of some Niedner rifle stocks i.e. Ballards stocks I have seen from the Walnut Hill Range days in Mass. I asked for opinions as to whom MAY HAVE DONE THE WORK, THEREFORE IT CAN BE ASSUMED FROM THAT [BY A REASONABLE MAN], I ALREADY KNEW Mr. Niedner was not the stock's maker! It is obvious, we are not friends but over the years, I feel I have gotten a feel for your personality and you remind me of the great Gore Vidal quote:
"Whenever a friend succeeds, a little something in me dies."
You know As always I wish you continued success as the "Single Shot Dealer of Livingston MT."
Jerry

Sidelock
Sidelock

Please post some pictures of the inletting when you get
the rifle. That may help us to identify the stockmaker.
I think I've seen something like it before, maybe when
I was looking through old issues of the Gun Report.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Will Do!
Thanks

Jerry

Sidelock
Sidelock

Pretty neat piece of folk art stock making and I really like the forearm treatment. I would just replace the recoil pad with something more age appropriate and shoot her.I'd like to see what else the maker did in the way of woodworking.I'll bet any furniture he made probably sells for some good money if it shows the same innovation as this gun stock.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm sorry but IMOP that is one fugly stock, folk art or not. I didn't know people were experimenting with LSD that far back in the day.

The plus side is that the barreled action should make a great basis for a very nice custom Hornet if you wish to put the time & money into it. I always thought the better efforts on M1 & M2 Springfield Hornet conversions were very cool.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Alvin Linden
Steve: I was hoping for unbiased opinions. As I seem to recall your identification acumen is such, that you and Petrov thought a 1903 with White forearm tip and gripcap, that he had bought for a pittance without a bolt, was the VERY same rifle pictured in his Book 1 on page 143 [in the rifle rack, single view] with Harvey W. Rodgers. Your theory [yours and his] was, there weren't many 1903 with these distinctive accoutrements, alas it had to be that rifle! I'm sure you will get a chance to buy it when his estate auction takes place. Alas I've seen 25 OR MORE SIMILAR RIFLES [1903'S W/WHITE FIXTURES] FOR SALE SINCE THEN. However this misses the point, that in your RUSH to gleeful delight, in discrediting my rifle you failed to carefully read the question. I said it was "reminiscent" of some Niedner rifle stocks i.e. Ballards stocks I have seen from the Walnut Hill Range days in Mass. I asked for opinions as to whom MAY HAVE DONE THE WORK, THEREFORE IT CAN BE ASSUMED FROM THAT [BY A REASONABLE MAN], I ALREADY KNEW Mr. Niedner was not the stock's maker! It is obvious, we are not friends but over the years, I feel I have gotten a feel for your personality and you remind me of the great Gore Vidal quote:
"Whenever a friend succeeds, a little something in me dies."
You know As always I wish you continued success as the "Single Shot Dealer of Livingston MT."
Jerry

What?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Any updates on this? Has the rifle arrived? How does it look?

Sidelock
Sidelock

My guess is that whoever stocked that Hornet took James Howe's design diagrams shown in his gunsmithing book too much to heart.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.