May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
2 members (Wild Skies, jake van dyke), 994 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,502
Posts545,509
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I stopped using the Blue Book a few years ago as a value reference on vintage ( pre 1950) collectible doubles. I just found that the values and subtleties of the sought after doubles just could not be kept up with nor realistically represented in such a broad stroke as the yearly Blue Book. Please do not take this as a criticism of the Blue Book. It is very very well done body of work but I was curious if I am in the minority of those who feel it does not represent this area of guns with any usable accuracy anymore?

I have also wondered if a group of Parker, L.C. Smith, Ithaca,Lefever,Fox,and English and european experts would have any better luck trying to produce a collectible doubles guide ?
I suspect not as it remains so subjective.

Cheers,
Brad

Sidelock
Sidelock

Pages are soft and numerous and, although the reduced-size catalog format is perhaps not so convenient as roll, they could be used. I think it's still the primer for those of us who have little experience identifying, buying and trading. The Big Dogs know it isn't the breaking story or they wouldn't be shouting "What News from the Auction House?" The BB has impressed on me the notion that very few guns ever drop below 85% condition, or put another way, lots of dealers and private sellers are scanning that column for an optimistic valuation. Finding that my safe contains so many "85%s" is not a great source of satisifaction but certainly an indication of what the market will bull.

jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

This board is the blue book, for my money.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The Blue Book is a great reference for models, options, variations, production dates, etc., but is dangerous to use for valuations.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I agree with Jack, every seller lists his older gun at at least 80-85%, but when you take a gun for a trade they will tell you that it is 60-70%. How do you agrue with them that their gun in not the percentage they state.
I believe the Blue Book is a good reference for condition for your benefit. The prices seem to be for the buyer, the sellers seem to use prices of what they want.
King Brown had the best answer, this board.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

I agree with the premise that it provides reference points on many guns. Once you enter the realm of esoteric guns, the market takes over and anyone shopping in a specialized market needs to monitor current trends. Example: Post DDR Merkel 8. Bluebook $1150 for 100%. Try $1800-$2000 especially in 16 or 20 when they can be found. The auctions, even the auction sites give a pretty good idea of what things are worth and what people want and if you don't pay attantion mistakes can be made. The Blue Book is a help on features of guns or manufacturers I'm not familiar with. Example: Some Bernardelli's are sideplated boxlocks that mimic sidelocks very well and can be misrepresented as sidelocks. The book helps identify points like this pretty well. A generic overview, but it is my rule of thumb.

Sidelock
Sidelock

NO. The $1150 price for Mod. 8 NE seems quite generous to me. In EU these things in very good spape go for about 300e. Perhaps not, stupid basic grade BSS BLE 20s are often listed at 2k, or more now. Screw that, I would buy a Citori and pocket the difference. Perhaps you native-born boys have lost your something 'grey' for 'yellow'? Is it genetically enhanced food? Time to switch over to organic and or kosher.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've been collecting firearms for over 40 years and I just ordered the newest BB from this site. I find it a quick reference for firearms I'm not that familiar with but I also take the prices with a grain of salt.I have also found inaccuracies over the years that I have reported to the publisher that were corrected in subsequent issues.
Jim

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I use it and just ordered the newest issue from Dave. But it's just another tool. Many people never read the instructions and make all sorts of wrong assumptions. The instructions make any tool more useful. It's far better than any of the generic gun traders guides that sit on the shelves for several years before you buy them. Obviously you can't force anyone to pay you the BB price or accept it for their gun but it is a decent reference. Nothing else comes close, both in the information it provides.

Our "Auction Report" is very interesting but does anyone print and carry it around with them to gunshows, etc.? You can't force anyone to sell you a particular gun at a favorable price because it says one did in the auction report, either.

Last edited by Jim Legg; 03/31/07 10:03 AM.

> Jim Legg <

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have found that the Blue Book has worked both ways for me. When a dealer is not knowledgeable on doubles, I have found on occasion that he prices low based on his reading of the prices in the book.

So many guns, so little time!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.