March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Marc Ret, Ian Forrester, SKB, eightbore, cpa, 1 invisible), 329 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,000
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
Sidelock

It is pointless to argue about LN Springfields. If you are worried, don't shoot them. Similar to the damascus barrel controversy with shotguns. There is no definitive answer to either subject.

I also wish I had bid on the Baker rifle. Never expected it to sell so low.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hello Bob,
Re Doc. Bakers Rifle.

It was just a 'shot in the dark' question. I'll ask on the ASSRA Forum, someone there may know. If not, I'll get in touch with the Auction House, although I'm sure they get Pee'd Off with such questions from disappointed bidders. I was planning an article on this rifle, on how the conversion was done by Neidner, but without the missing details there isn't much point. Like you, I am fascinated by this 'one off' conversion. Michael told me that he didn't like stripping the breech block down after shooting because to re-assemble it required three hands at least, but he always did it.

Regards,

Harry

Biology is the only science where multiplication can be achieved by division.
Sidelock
Sidelock

An anomaly seems to have cropped up with the Neidner Borchardt, I was making notes on some of the rifles from Michaels collection when I came to lot no 508. This is shown as a rifle built by Neidner and Stegall and is in .257 Roberts calibre. There is no mention of another that I can see today but I am certain there must have been another almost identical and that is the rifle built for Doc Baker, and that rifle was in .25 Krag. I am also certain that when the auction catalogue first came out the rifle in .25 Krag was shown and Doc Baker was mentioned as being the man it was made for, which sold for $3250 whereas lot 508 sold for $3737.50.

Now I know I'm old and probably getting senile and probably forgetful as well, but I corresponded with Michael re Doc Bakers rifle and he even sent me a photograph of a target he shot with it and the target is also marked .25 Krag.

Now the question arises, did Michael have two of these Niedner converted Borchardt's both with DST's and a manual cocking knob. I've certainly seen no mention of a 257 Roberts Borchardt by Michael and I have twice gone through the sales catalogue today without finding the 25 Krag.

Jo-Do can you help me out here please? Did Michael have two of these Neidner converted Borchardt's.

Harry

Sidelock
Sidelock

Harry,
Here is the link to the Niedner discussion. The .25 Krag is at the bottom of page 2. I remember discussion of a second rifle but I don't think Michael owned it.

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=344630&page=3

Last edited by Bob Saathoff; 12/03/14 04:48 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hello Harry ...

I am looking at Michael firearms spreadsheet and there isn't a lot of detail to go on. I see a few Borchardts on his list ...
1)Niedner's Borchardt Pope 38-72;
2)Niedner-Baker Borchardt (but no caliber or serial number);
3)custom Borchardt Long-Range by John Wills .45-70;
4)Borchardt .25 Krag

I don't know if rifle no.4 listed above was a Niedner rifle or not.

... Joe

Sidelock
Sidelock

#4 just had a Niedner Rifle Co barrel on it. I had it before Michael.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Joe D.,
Thanks for the information, much appreciated.

Bob S. Thanks you also my friend. That refreshed my memory.

Terry B. So rifle no.4 had a standard Borchardt action then, not a highly modified one? As shown in lot No.508 in the Amoskeag Sale Catalogue.

I have always believed that there was just the one Borchardt modified to Br. Bakers specification by Neidner and that was in .25" Krag. Now the possibility of another in .257" Roberts has come to light. So, have Amoskeag got it wrong (unlikely as they seem generally to be more knowledgeable than most Auction Houses)or is there more than one of these modified Borchardt's around?

I know this may seem insignificant to most but it's a question that had been driving me up the wall.

EDIT Terry, cancel that last request please, I have the problem solved. I am aware now it was a standard action on that .25 Krag Borchardt you sold to Michael.

Harry

Last edited by Harry Eales; 12/04/14 12:59 PM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Michael described the chambering of the Baker rifle as 25HP, which, while Krag based, might have confused the auctioneer causing them to misidentify it, especially if that is the barrel marking.

The difference between $3250 and $3737.50 is that the latter includes the 15% buyer's premium.

Jim H.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hello Jim,

Thanks for your input, I'd come to the same conclusion, I compared the rifle in the sale with pictures Michael had sent me some time ago and the checkering on both fore arm and stock were identical. It has to be the same rifle. As you say it looks like the auction company weren't sure what it was, a pity they left out the reference to the original owner being Doc Baker out of the catalogue in the end, it would I believe have attracted higher bids than it obtained. I had also checked the original sale price I noted and multiplied it by 15% and got the same price as currently displayed. Now to try and find out who bought it.

Thanks to all who assisted, I'm grateful for your input.

Harry

Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.