April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (susjwp, PALUNC, mel5141, Karl Graebner, 2 invisible), 391 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,444
Posts544,810
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#383972 11/13/14 12:49 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I recently purchased a Superposed from a gentleman in the UK, and had it imported to the USA. It was made the first week of July, 1930. It is Superposed serial #31. I think it is the lowest serial number Super in private hands, but I am not sure.

If you have any specific questions about this early Superposed, let me know. I have some good pics of it.

Scotty
Sidelock
Sidelock

Double/single trigger, or, no?

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

What a find! Does it have a flat rib? I understand that some early superposed guns have concave ribs. I have even seen one on an A5.

Last edited by B. Dudley; 11/13/14 07:40 AM.

B.Dudley
Sidelock
Sidelock

very cool.

keep it simple and keep it safe...
JNW Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

We want it all! Barrel length, chokes, weight, dimensions, trigger (I suspect on a gun this early they are straight up double triggers). How does it shoot?
Nice gun,
Jeff

"We are men of action. Lies do not become us."
Wesley
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Superposed #31 has 30 in barrels, single brass bead, normal Double Triggers (No Twin Singles), choked .036 and .038, which I believe is Full and Fuller. The Rib is odd, it has cuts that appear to be vents, but does not go all the way across, so it really isn't Vented. While I don't have an exact weight, it is very SOLID and weighs approx 8 1/2 pounds on the bathroom scale. Horse shoe fore end and a hard rubber butt pad that I don't think is original.
The coolest thing is the checkering. It has high-grade checkering, at 20 LPI, maybe 22, my eyes play tricks on me. The checkering comes across and touches on top of the wrist and on the bottom of the round knob. The forearm is almost completely checkered, making an arrow pattern on the forearm's bottom.
Nice, elegant Grade 1 engraving for a Pre-War Super. The Acanthus leaves do not drop down as far on the barrel shoulders like they do on later Pre-War guns.

Oh yeah, it has Monobloc barrels and the Non-Crossfire Rib. It doesn't say Browning or have the JMB bust/Trademark on it since it is a European market FN B25.

B Dudley, my 1931 Superposed has the concave "Matted" rib that is just engraved on the top of the barrel. It is a "Lightweight" version, pre-cursor to the Lightning, has 26 in bbls, and is very light and swings like a dream.

Sorry for the "Double Arrows", the software screwed it up. Shows the Non-Crossfire Rib, Monobloc bbls, and smaller Acanthus Leave engraving.

I took it out hunting last month, when it was warmer. It will stay nice and warm in the safe while it is 5 degrees outside...Enjoy!

Last edited by No Dak Scotty; 11/13/14 09:35 AM.

Scotty
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks for posting this here, in addition to the Shotgunworld Browning BBS.
Your find is absolutely adorable, and gives one the spark to keep looking.
Bore diameter - .725" ???

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Ian, I don't have a mic to measure the bore diameter. I was told the chokes from the seller. The choke mark asterisks are not on the side of the chambers. According to the seller, this gun was refinished by Browning UK about 1984, and has sat in a safe ever since. It was displayed at the 1984(?)CLA Game Fair in the UK as the oldest know Superposed in the UK. It shoots just fine and ejects both shells on the ground within inches of one another, clean over my shoulder. Thank you Mr. JMB.

Scotty
Sidelock
Sidelock

Scotty - Amen & AMEN to "Thank you Mr. JMB".
When I was young and green, I lusted for a Browning Superposed - just one genuine Browning Superposed. All I could afford back then, with some horse-trading and scarce cash was a Model 12 Winchester with a "dial-a-duck" on the end. I bought the Model 12.
Four decades later, I now I have a number of Superposeds, mainly from 1948 to 1952,... used nearly always with 20GA ChamberMates.
Your post with the fine pics is firing up long dead "lust" again,...for a nice pre-war.
I enjoyed following your October thread on the Browning BBS.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

It is funny how quick the doublegun bug can strike. My first Fine gun was my first Superposed, in 2007. By 2010 I had ordered a bespoke sxs 16 gauge from Germany. Now I have 5 Supers, 3 Pre-War, and all tell a different story.
I hope to refinish the wood on Superposed #31. The metal was already refinished in '84, so there is no patina, etc...oh well. Wood, like paint on a classic car, should be cared for IMHO. Steam out the dents, stain it properly, and it should last ANOTHER lifetime.

Scotty
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.