March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (smlekid, Marc Ret, Ted Schefelbein, bushveld, FlyChamps, 1 invisible), 838 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: No Dak Scotty

I hope to refinish the wood on Superposed #31. The metal was already refinished in '84, so there is no patina, etc...oh well. Wood, like paint on a classic car, should be cared for IMHO. Steam out the dents, stain it properly, and it should last ANOTHER lifetime.

Scotty,
I wouldn't do anything to that wood. Just leave it as is and enjoy the old look. Pulling the wood on that gun is a little tricky, and you can end up with a proud trigger guard tang. Your capabilities on stock work may be far better than I am giving you credit for, but I'm just saying...

One thing I've had really good luck with on old oil/varnish finished guns to weatherproof the wood is the application of the original solvent-based Thompson's Water Seal. It is totally harmless to the finish, yet it penetrates and seals the pores against moisture, especially the checkering. Far better than any wax. You have to be careful when you buy it because the new latex version is not worth the can it comes in.
JR

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

JR, while I might attempt minor refinishing on lesser guns, I wouldn't touch #31 with a screwdriver myself. If I decide to do so, it will go to Art's and only Art's. Normally a gun being refinished can lower the value, but I think Art's team is recognized as the Superposed experts (and A-5s, etc) so I am confident they will only improve the gun and it's value, especially since it was refinished once already in the mid '80s.

Scotty
Sidelock
Sidelock

Scotty. Don't do anything to that gun as it was done by Browning UK back in the 80's and that is the provenance. As good as Art's are they are not "Browning" and you loose the Provenance. Just enjoy it and show it off at the club. You have the best as long as #30 or less is not found.

All the best.

John Foster
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: John Foster
Scotty. Don't do anything to that gun as it was done by Browning UK back in the 80's and that is the provenance. As good as Art's are they are not "Browning" and you loose the Provenance. Just enjoy it and show it off at the club. You have the best as long as #30 or less is not found.

All the best.

What that guy said. Let it be.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

When Art was with Browning and his hands refinished hundreds if not thousands of guns you say the provenance is Browning.
I respectfully disagree.

Just as Funken, not Browning, is credited for his engraving,
Isaacson, not Browning, should be credited with his finishes.

Very nice gun Scotty, I say do with it as you will.
You honor those who crafted it in your utilitarian use of this object.
While it may point like the finger of God, it was made by the hand of man.
Neat? Yes. Holy relic? Not quite. Original? Not any more.

Browning USA?
Browning UK?
Browning Hillsboro wink

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Eventually the wood will need to be professionally refreshed, to ensure the gun lasts more than one lifetime. There is no reason these guns can't be gingerly enjoyed in the field 150 years after production, if properly cared for. That will be the true legacy of the Superposed.

Besides, I am certainly in no hurry. It is -5 degrees F today, so #31 is safely tucked away for the season until it warms up. I have too many other irons in the fire right now.

Last edited by No Dak Scotty; 11/18/14 08:59 AM.

Scotty
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.