April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (MattH, Bob Blair, 1 invisible), 381 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,443
Posts544,791
Members14,405
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I happened into an old Remington model 12 reasonable, and the barrel may just be full of 103 years of lead fouling. Patches have shiny metal flakes in them. Lead removal suggestions?

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a 22 martini that has Canadian ownership marks on the receiver. This particular barrel actually had lumps of both lead and copper fouling on the tops of the lands. Cleaned it, cleaned it some more and finally just kept the barrel wet with hoppe's. Used brand new 22 bore brush that for some reason really fit the barrel tight. About a dozen strokes finally showed some flakes so kept at it. After about 20 minutes patched out the barrel and the lumps were no longer there. Had the same problem with a 1915 vintage 1895 win in 30-40 krag. Had what looked like lumps on top of the lands. 8mm bore brush and no longer there. That one had been soaking with hoppes also. Frank

Last edited by Frank46; 11/30/14 02:22 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Get a pure copper scouring pad (take a magnet with you to check, some brands are copper plated steel, pure copper wont scratch your barrel but steel will) unwrap a few strands and wrap them around a bore brush and scrub away. Should only tale a few passes. You can use Kroil or any bore cleaner as a lubricant.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Long ago Creighton Audette introduced me diamond paste on a patch wrapped around a worn brush after showing me I wasn't getting my barrels clean. Not for everyday use, but great on severely fouled barrels because not many passes with the cleaning rod are required. Remove with degreaser on a patch. Unfortunately Hoppes ain't what it used to be.....

Sidelock
Sidelock

This is pretty standard. First, do not use anything in the way of lapping, abrasive to do this, as you're likely going to hurt the bore.
Use something purpose built. Get some IOSSO bore cleaner and preferably a couple of their hard nylon brushes. This stuff is purpose built for lead/carbon. You need to brush, patch it several times, you have layers of both lead and carbon. The patches will be charcoal black and get progressively lighter. After a few cycles, use a patch wrapped tight around the brush, soaked up good with the cleaner and you will get to bare metal in short order without hurting anything.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I'm going on orders right now. Left it soaking in Ballistol.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Patches came out black, then clean ones til clear. Finally found a .22 Tornado bore brush and the patches are coming out brownish black again on a patch just goopy with Ballistol. Soaking for 24 hours, then dry patches tonight.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Have you tried shooting it at this point? My M12 has a bore like a sewer pipe, but is surprisingly accurate. Every time I start thinking about having it lined, I shoot it, shrug my shoulders, and put it away.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.