March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,244 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,014
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#386474 12/07/14 02:02 PM
Granger Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Hi!
can we make the difference between action and bar-back action without dismounted the lock plate.

Sidelock
Sidelock

not really....sometimes they have fake pins to confuse folks

gunut
Sidelock
Sidelock

With all due respect to gunut, I have never come across a fake pin on an English gun but no doubt they exist.
The rule of thumb is that if there is a pin showing in the bar of the lock plate, it is a true bar-action lock. If not, it is a back action masquerading as a bar-action, sometimes called a 'back-action bar lock'.
At the risk of stirring up a hornet's nest, it is usually assumed that a back action is of lower quality than a bar action.
These people are ignoring the many sidelock O/U's and double rifles made by the best gunmakers in the world that very often use back action locks.
Although I will admit that a larger proportion of full bar-actions are of high quality than back-actions, it does not follow that a back-action can not be of fabulous quality and finish.
As an example I would offer up this McCririck:
http://www.heritageguns.co.uk/McCririck%20SLE/McCririck%20SLE%20Details.htm
and any number of guns by Blanch and Scott.

Sidelock
Sidelock

"Back work" and "back work and bar" locks need less metal to be machined out of the action , one of the reasons they were used in heavy calibre rifles . Side lock O/Us used them as there was no space for conventional bar lock , guns like the Holland Dominion used them so to get a slimmer rounder body . Many Continental makers used them because that's the way they made guns .
Never seem a back work and bar lock with a fake pin so as far as I am concerned if it hasn't got a pin on the bar its a back work.

Sidelock
Sidelock

.....and a back action leaves more metal in the action for strength. The trade off though is a little more wood is removed inletting the lock. I think the bar action spring can be somewhat smoother and perhaps stronger than the other. But for hammerless guns it's probably a moot point.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

This same post was on SGW today, by a different poster, and made no more sense over there...

Scotty
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have seen some fake pins...don't think any were Brit...although I wouldn't say they don't exist...would think they would mostly be found on cheaper knock offs of higher quality guns....

lets not forget blind pin guns where none of the pins show on the outside....hard to tell them from a side plated boxlock.....

The story I was told was bar action locks in theory will have a better trigger pull due to the way the springs pressure is applied to the sear making it the better system....

gunut
Granger Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Originally Posted By: Toby Barclay
With all due respect to gunut, I have never come across a fake pin on an English gun but no doubt they exist.
The rule of thumb is that if there is a pin showing in the bar of the lock plate, it is a true bar-action lock. If not, it is a back action masquerading as a bar-action, sometimes called a 'back-action bar lock'.
At the risk of stirring up a hornet's nest, it is usually assumed that a back action is of lower quality than a bar action.
These people are ignoring the many sidelock O/U's and double rifles made by the best gunmakers in the world that very often use back action locks.
Although I will admit that a larger proportion of full bar-actions are of high quality than back-actions, it does not follow that a back-action can not be of fabulous quality and finish.
As an example I would offer up this McCririck:
http://www.heritageguns.co.uk/McCririck%20SLE/McCririck%20SLE%20Details.htm
and any number of guns by Blanch and Scott.

"the bar" it means the front?
thank you

Sidelock
Sidelock

Granger:
The 'bar' of an action is the section that lies under the barrels with holes for the barrel lumps and the hinge pin at the front.
The 'bar' of a lock plate is the part of the lock plate that lies along the side of, and is inlet into, the 'bar' of the action.
The pin I mention is the locating pin on the main spring which, in a bar-action lock, is usually visible towards the front end of the 'bar' of the lock plate.
In a back-action, this pin is usually towards the upper tail of the lock plate but since it is usually indistinguishable from other pins such as the interceptor sear spring pin, this information is not terribly useful!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Agree with Toby. Spotting a bar lock just requires you yo look for the mainspring locating pin at the forward extremity of the lock.

A lot of cheaper guns were made as back-actions but so were lot of very expensive ones - the obvious being Purdey's island lock guns and Grant & Hodges patent side-levers, 90%+ of which seem to be back locks.

I find the weight in a bar lock is concentrated around the action a little more. All my personal hammer guns are bar-locks, not a conscious decision on my part but perhaps an interesting observation, they just feel right in the hand. That is just my opinion - the Marquis of Ripon pretty much exclusively used back action Purdey's - so what do I know! wink

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.