April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (Jimmy W, DaveB), 1,138 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,469
Posts545,142
Members14,409
Most Online1,299
Apr 26th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#33875 04/02/07 01:44 PM
kilibru Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I was contemplating attempting to make an oak and leather gun case for a new challange. Does anyone have a suggestion on where I can find information on building cases? Thank you.

kilibru #33882 04/02/07 02:36 PM
jas Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I just measured some at one of the shows and got started. I had the interior padding cut at the local furnature building shop, they did an excellent but reasonable cost job.
I have had a hard time getting Brass compoments for cases. The Rockler, etc. seem so cheap.
jas

Currently own two Morgan cars. Starting on Black Powder hunting to advoid the mob of riflemen.
jas #33890 04/02/07 03:52 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I make a few cases per year for myself and friends as a hobby. I got started a few years ago after studying pictures of cases in the DGJ, and various catalogs, such as Westley Richards. I can tell you it is very satisfying but does take some trial and error. With each case I make I find where I've improved upon the one I made just before it. Rather than going into detail, because I'd rather not do that since everyone has their way of making stuff, I will give you a few pointers that may be helpful instead.

If you want "best-quality" plan to invest about $400 in materials; $200 for a side of leather, which'll make as many as 2 cases; I suggest Wickett & Craig tannery, latigo or bridle leather. $50 for a yard+ of ultrasuede for the interior. $25 for the 1/2" oak frame. $100 for the hardware. A previous poster is correct in stating that the hardest thing to find to make quality cases is the brass hardware. I suggest centuryarms.com.au - they carry most of what you'll need. About all you can find stateside are the hinges ($25/pr from Woodcraft).

It still takes me about 40 hours to build a case from start to finish. If you add up all the time and cost involved I can see where some would be tempted to simply contact Galazan for one of their $699 specials. I've never seen one of theirs, and I'm sure it's of good quality, but if you're like me, you'll get the ultimate satisfaction building one yourself, custom-fitted to the actual gun you want to case.

jas #33892 04/02/07 03:53 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ive always wanted to try making my own, but I cant seem to ever find the time. I have however, spent time looking for brass fittings, such as the corners, but didnt really find much. I know Jeffs Outfitters has them, and maybe Galazan, but thats about it. I found a ton of "trunk" restoration places, but they didnt quite have what I was looking for. Less sturdy would be a good way to describe it. I did see a show on tv once, I think of Hueys(sp?), and they showed him fixing up a case and relining another. It was very interesting and I wish I could remember what it was on. Probably Shotgun Journal or something like that. If you ever get a chance to put one together, be sure and take some step by step pictures and post them on the board. I know a lot of people on here would love to see it form start to finish!

CMWill #33909 04/02/07 05:52 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

It's my understanding that FEI Gun Cases will sell parts and materials... http://www.feiguncases.com/

Mark

A sailor's creed - "If you can't tie good knots, tie lots of 'em."
Sidelock
Sidelock

Years back I started to make an oak and leather case for my Prussian Sauer. Yep, you guessed it, I sold the gun and never finished the case.

I can't tell of a source for 12Ga brass (approx. 1/8 inch). I bent and filed the brass corners to shape and had a local welding shop braze the corners closed. After the final finishing with 220 Grit wet and dry, the brazing is undetectable. It's really not as difficult as it sounds.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I just recently got into doing some brass work for accessories related to muzzleloading rifles. I will second Georges comment that bending the brass isn't all that difficult and you could simply silver solder the joints yourself. Just be sure to make up an accurate male mold to shape the metal around and anneal it often.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'll be FEI gets a chuckle out of guys who buy components from them while they're making finished cases for under $800. I'm not funning with those who have the gumption to build a case at home, I'm just commenting on the reasonable FEI price list.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.