April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,035 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,467
Posts545,124
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

Is there any truth in the old wive's tale that you look at the anal opening on brant, and if they are stained brown, don't eat them - they have been feeding on mollusks. If there is a green stain, go ahead - they have been on vegetation

tw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Tudurgs, I've never taken brant, so can't speak to your 'vent' coloration question directly, but do know that redheads taken along the Texas costal marshes can have an awful taste & smell & they do not if taken from the northern parts of the state before they get to the coast. That costal marsh muck and whatever they are feeding on simply permeates the birds & you'd just as well be trying to eat a merganser. Alligators might like 'em well enough.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mark

did you cook the bird for Christmas?

if so, what recipe and how was it.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I sure did! The recipes here were invaluable. I marinated the breasts in italian dressing with herbs, seared the breast skin side down in oil and butter, with slits in the skin to help the fat render. They swelled up to about 2" thick during cooking, so I seared them 15 min. on the skin side, and 5 min. on the other. They came out rare, and then I let them sit for ten minutes. I then used a variation of the recipe above for the sauce, using Major Grey's Chutney, A-1 steak sauce, soy sauce, and dry sherry. Wow. It was one of the most delicious wild game meals I've ever had. Amazing! It was like a finely grained steak, and the sauce was the finishing touch.

I'm really glad too, because if I couldn't get goose or duck to my liking, then it would be hard to justify taking more of them...

tw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Looks to me like you got it about perfect, Mark! Over-cooking is very close to vulcanizing. Are those okra blanched or pickled?

Back to the goose, I sometimes make 'goose bites', sautéing chunks of the breast in a combination of unsalted butter & Edes Steak Seasoning, an Amarillo secret condiment. One 800- five three seven fifty-nine zero two.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mark,

That looks great. Merry Christmas.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Having hunted waterfowl for over 68 yrs. I have eaten it in every way possible, some good some bad, however, while hunting in Canada 40years ago I had it served as an appetizer. Save your beacon grease, cut breasts cross grain and diagonally and drop in hot grease. Remove almost at once to drain on paper towels. This is great when you don't have enough for a complete meal. I almost forgot to mention that you place flour and seasoning in bag to dust cut meat before frying.

wishing you all a Happy and healthy NEW YEAR!!!! Pilgrim

Last edited by [pilgrim; 12/29/14 02:37 PM.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.