May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
8 members (Lloyd3, Karl Graebner, canvasback, David Williamson, Der Ami, Argo44, 1 invisible), 768 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,506
Posts545,615
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#389026 01/02/15 02:01 PM
rwarren Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

As you all know, many Smith stocks have cracks behind the locks. I did a search here to see if it had been discussed but did not find anything. I've never had the locks off a Smith to see what it looks like so I'm curious as to why they appear? Also, does anyone have a repair for these or a method to prevent them from happening?

Thanks,
Bob

Sidelock
Sidelock

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Sidelock
Sidelock

It is my opinion that, based on a lot of those types of breaks that I have seen, it is not really caused by recoil, but more likely bending stress on the stock. The cracks behind the locks usually continue down towards the frame and break loose the lower "fingers" of the stock. So, the crack will open up when the stock is flexed upwards.

Obviously the root issue is a lack of wood in the head of the stock. But I don't think that recoil is the sole cause of it.

B.Dudley
Sidelock
Sidelock

IMO- fewer LC Smith pre-1913 stocks tend to have splits behind the locks or at the top tang areas, regardless of the gauge or grade- I have 5 12 gauge Smiths, 4 are pre-1913, one is a 1941 Ideal- 3 are ejector guns, 1 has Damascus barrels the rest Nitro proofed steel, 4 have DT, one has the HOT-- so there is a mix to compare with. I have acra-glass reinforced the lock and inner stock head areas, and I only shoot 1150 fps or lighter loads in them- and I shoot a lot- so far, so good-

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Boxlock
Boxlock

I agree with RWTF about using Acra-glass on the inner stock head area. I use acra-glass gel and have had good results. I re-stocked a field grade years ago and have had zero problems. I also shoot light hand loads to ensure no problems.

Ron

Sidelock
Sidelock

Most people don't pay attention to the role the action screws play as recoil lugs. If the hand pin is loose or the hole has become oval. I also believe that pre-13 guns have less problem with cracks behind the locks, not sure if it was better wood or more attention paid to inletting. MKII

Sidelock
Sidelock

Most people don't pay attention to the role the action screws play as recoil lugs. If the hand pin is loose or the hole has become oval. I also believe that pre-13 guns have less problem with cracks behind the locks, not sure if it was better wood or more attention paid to inletting. MKII

Sidelock
Sidelock

Here's the link to DocDrew's FAQ on repairing cracks:

http://www.lcsmith.org/faq/repaircracks.html

I prefer wood to plastic, leather to nylon, waxed cotton to Gore-Tex, and split bamboo to graphite.
Sidelock
Sidelock

RWTF's experience mirrors mine. I have 12 Elsies, all pre-13,all get used, and NONE have cracks or the beginning of same. I'm convinced that recoil from too-high pressure/too long shells start evident cracks, but I'm equally convinced that (let the flaming begin) improper gun storage gave birth to the condition of the head of the stock. When examining an Elsie for purchase The FIRST thing I look for is darkening at the head and fingers of the stock. The darkening tells me that oil seepage caused the discolation, and if one removes the sideplates one finds more oil there in what little wood there is. That wood is always "pithy" and takes the brunt of the recoil--- result-- cracks behind the locks.
The cure? Remove the oil and Acraglas the head, and STORE THE GUN MUZZLE DOWN !!
Tightness of action screws goes without saying-- just don't overdo it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

"the root issue is a lack of wood in the head of the stock"

Amen, and I am of the opinion that is where the cracks start, then extend and eventually become apparent at the apex of the lock. Please check the first 7 images here
http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/17090409

and compare the wood area with these boxlock and sidelock stocks
http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/15127852

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.