April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (Wild Skies, SKB), 1,216 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,468
Posts545,128
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

I recently acquired this shotgun at a good price, but not really knowing the true value. I do know it has fantastic workmanship. It has a 30" barrel and the bore is .75, smoothbore. The lockplate reads D. Egg with pheasant etc.
The barrel has Birmingham Proof stamps, but is not marked Egg. Great engraving, even the screws. Gold inlay at the breech area. Research tells me that he was quite a esteemed Gun Maker. Some of my collector buddies thought I was crazy to buy a English fowler, but we'll see. Any comments or opinion on the true value is appreciated. It is currently list on Gunbroker.com Item No.461801479, with lots of photo's.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Welcome the site, can't give you much info. other than Durs Egg guns in their original flint-lock form can be quite expensive, percussion not so much but it depends on the gun and desirability.

Years ago I picked up a Durs Egg SxS, well actually all but the stock. It has been converted from flint to percussion greatly lowering the value of even the parts.

Some more knowledgeable might chime in.--- John

Sidelock
Sidelock

I believe that Durs Egg made guns well into the percussion period.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Steve Helsley
I believe that Durs Egg made guns well into the percussion period.

I don't believe that to be the case and I'd question Birmingham proofs.
Any educated guestimate, even on ID would require good pics.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Durs Egg went out of business about 1820,it's believed he went crazy from mercury poisoning,your gun is much later than that.

Some Birmingham gunmakers made lower quality guns and engraved them with fraudulent famous names,they were sold as used guns to get around the law. Mortimer was another name they used,I've handled a couple that I'm sure were never seen by one of the Mortimer's.Sorry about the bad news.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I believe that's what I was told - if its not a flint-lock it's been altered / not an Egg in the first place. That's why the huge
discount in value I suppose. By the sound of things Steve you havr a very nice gun, post some pics. if you can. --- John

Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

I have pictures of the shotgun on Gunbroker if you care to have look.( Gunbroker.com Item No.461801479)
They are indeed Birmingham proofs on the barrel. The D. Egg engraved on the lockplate is identical to some others I have found on the Web. Gunbroker.com Item No.461801479

Here is info from another forum concerning the Gunmaker:

Boothroyd's Directory lists Durs Egg's death in London 1831 but states the business continued under that name until 1865, so a percussion gun may date later than 1830s. Here's a percussion double for comparison: http://www.littlegun.info/arme britannique/artisan efg/a egg gb.htm

Sidelock
Sidelock

I believe that both Rigby and Purdey were selling percussion guns c.1823.

Sidelock
Sidelock

1823 was right on the cusp of the invention of the percussion cap as I recall.

I once had a Joseph Lang percussion double rifle (not converted), that was, by my estimation, made sometime between 1825 and 1830.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.