April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (Jtplumb), 1,113 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,469
Posts545,142
Members14,409
Most Online1,299
Apr 26th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I've read commentary that it would have been unlikely Lord Grantham would have had a Labrador Retriever pre-WWI. However, breed was registered in the UK almost a decade before WWI.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Gil, I thought your comment on the likelyhood of Lord Grantham having a Labrador pre-WW1 was interesting. I checked the pictures in my Rupert Godfrey book "Olly" and in Jonathon Ruffer's classic "The Big Shots". I think these illustrations are mostly period.

Lots of Labs laying about, mostly in the group pictures. Lots of Springers too though...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Check this out:

The Gundogs of Downton

A lab is probably not period correct.

OWD

Good Gun Alerts & more:

www.DogsandDoubles.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

ROMAC.
Regarding the Anson forend release, patent use numbers were stamped on them until about 1890. The highest number I've seen (1888) was 24626. They were widely used and in the case of William Powell & Son, most of their guns were so equipped after about 1880.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The fact that England was, at the time of Downton Abbey and in the words of Lord Roberts, a 'nation of riflemen' was blindingly obvious from the grouse shooting scene. All their shots were 'rifled'; none of the Guns swung through as they fired. All 'misses behind' I suspect.

Nigel.

L. Brown #389407 01/05/15 03:05 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I watched "The Shooting Party' just a few days ago, for the first time. Firstly, I winced as one Gun's loader draped two (supposedly expensive) guns over one arm, and walked off with the barrels clanking together. In real life that would have been grounds for instant dismissal. Secondly, when the Edward Fox character was asked about his guns, he replies that he 'had them made to measure', as though that were unusual. No monied gentleman of that time would have had anything other than bespoke guns, and his comment leapt out as completely superfluous.

Nigel.

Nigel #389410 01/05/15 03:49 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Nigel
I watched "The Shooting Party' just a few days ago, for the first time. Firstly, I winced as one Gun's loader draped two (supposedly expensive) guns over one arm, and walked off with the barrels clanking together. In real life that would have been grounds for instant dismissal. Secondly, when the Edward Fox character was asked about his guns, he replies that he 'had them made to measure', as though that were unusual. No monied gentleman of that time would have had anything other than bespoke guns, and his comment leapt out as completely superfluous.

Nigel.
And how about Lord Muckin'futch and his Yellow Lab "ISIS" talk about politically incorrect, albeit 90 years agone now-- Like having a Alsatian named "Hitler" in Israel!! Oy Vey, already.

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
lagopus #389411 01/05/15 03:50 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: lagopus
Yes I muttered and chuntered while 'she-who-must-be-obeyed' watched the Christmas episode. Please don't think it an accurate portrayal of grouse shooting. It's just a bunch of Luvvie actors shooting guns with black powder blanks in who have probably only had two seconds instruction how to use a gun from someone else who has little idea either. Probably with nothing more than a reminder to push the safety catch forward and point them somewhere before pulling the trigger. The bit that amused me was how close the together the beaters were. Usual distance apart is around 100 yards; big places those grouse moors! And with dogs ranging between. A bit like those spaghetti Westerns that should be taken with a pinch of salt. Lagopus.....
Or better yet- Oregano

tudurgs #389413 01/05/15 03:53 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: tudurgs
We brought back our present Labrador [censored] from England when she was 10 weeks old. She was bred by a seasoned citizen and long time Field Trialer named Vince Mitchell. He was responsible for the shooting footage in the "Shooting Party". He described the scene as ludicrous.
And the script co-ordinator never read the "If a Sportsman true you'd be, listen carefully, my, to me- never ever let you gun, pointed be at anyone, stops and beaters oft' unseen, lurk behind some leafy screen- calm and steady always be, and never shoot where you can't see- You may kill, or you may miss, but at all times remember this, all the pheasants ever bred, won't repay for one man dead" I hope that Limey fop Edward Fox takes that to his grave!!!

Sidelock
Sidelock

The visiting Hungarian aristo in "The Shooting Party" wonders why they don't continue with a shoot. "It was only a peasant!" The Lord's granddaughter explains that it was one of THEIR peasants . . . and thus ended a potential romance.

We can always find gun stuff to criticize in movies . . . except maybe in those made by John Milius, who is both a gun nut and seems to pay careful attention. I expect the "made to measure" comment from Fox might have been something the general audience (those who don't know guns) would have found interesting--most of them probably thinking you do that with a suit, but not with guns.

I liked Fox better as General Horrocks, XXX Corps commander, in "A Bridge Too Far"--when he explains to his tankers the plan to arrive "just in the nick of time" to save the beleaguered paratroopers at Arnhem. Missed their schedule by a bit.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.