Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rhys95 Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

I'm looking at purchasing this old hammer gun pictured below, it was made by F & S SACH" which was a retailer in Adelaide, Australia who were in business from 1869-1883. As you can see in the photo's its definitely a project gun with a cracked wrist including an antique repair. This is a real shame because the grain on the stock looks fantastic even with the bad quality pictures. A re-stock would be worth more than the $150 gun is and that's before the metal work is cleaned up.I would like to consider my options and here any recommendations from you experts out there!

Cheers,
Rhys

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi Rhys

To our modern eyes the repair to the stocks wrist looks crude but when it was done some time and effort was put in to make it functional and aesthetically acceptable, also it has functioned satisfactory up to today. What I am trying to say is that repair is part and parcel of the guns character and history so just clean it up and may be oil the stock and wonder how it was broken in the first place and speculate who did the repair and why, also that repair makes the gun unique if the repair is sound and the gun fit to use it would be a fine conversation piece any way.

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
Boxlock
Boxlock

Rhys95: I concur with damascus. If the repaired stock is sound oil the stock and clean the metal and use the gun. The wood looks great!

Sidelock
Sidelock

The photos make it hard to see wxsctly what is going on there. But I believe I see a plate screwed to the one side of the gun.

Some of not all of the screws looks to be through the checkering, which is good. Is the plate Inletted into the wood or on the surface?

Maybe a tennon inserted from under the trigger guard to sure up the break and then surface repairs that are hidden by re checkering may work well.

B.Dudley
Sidelock
Sidelock

I think it could be repaired by removing the metal reinforcement that is there now and inletting a piece of wood and perhaps some reinforcing pins. This would require a complete refinish and re-checkering. Unless you want to try it yourself, the cost to have it done won't be cheap. Or as already suggested, leave it as is and clean up the metal.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Just clean it up and use it as is. That repair predates everyone on this board and still is doing the job. I would keep it as a tribute to the person who did it and how his repair has stood the test of time. Even if you did a perfect job it would be impossible to hide and most likely not as strong after many hours of work.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I once removed a repair on a old muzzle loader which was a very intensive but sound enough repair, removing it destroyed the character of the gun. I ended up restocking it; however the wood it was wearing was not in keeping with the time period. Its now waiting till i find a plain piece of english walnut which will be more in keeping with the time period and style of gun.

Removing period repairs or even heavily refinishing a gun is a difficult thing as for many of us our appreciation of old guns comes with the knowledge that they are old and a few battle scars are honest confirmation of this. At the same time we appreciate beauty and its there for required that work is done to old guns to keep them not only functional but beautiful.

My opinion to you would be to do whatever you want to the gun striking a balance between preserving its originality and getting the most enjoyment out of the piece. In the same way; quality modern repair work is as cool and fascinating as the old stuff and so if you can afford to have quality word carried out that's pretty cool in my opinion.

I don't like it when a guns history is destroyed for purely financial gain, but if its a gun your going to use and love and enjoy do with it what makes you happy and makes you appreciate it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

rhys. in the first pic. is that a crack under the lock plate at the the far left, where the trigger guard comes up n meets the wood?
Any better pics of the metal plate fix?
Sure is `a very nice bit of wood....is the repair sound or wobbly?
cheers n gday, n gd luck mate
cheers
franc

Rhys95 Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

I will post some more photo's when I receive the gun but I fully agree with keeping its character and leaving the repair job unless like Franc has just said its loose or wobbly. From what I can make out the metal repair plate has been inletted into the stock which would make repairs of any sort much more difficult. All will be revealed when it arrives so fingers crossed its worth the $150!

Cheers

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.