April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (canvasback, LGF), 1,081 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,468
Posts545,135
Members14,409
Most Online1,271
Apr 26th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Thaine Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

So ugly it is beautiful IMHO. 1910 RIA 03 A rifle that appears to have been used for its fair share of game, if you figure the notches are for "critters" slain with it. It arrived today and initial check out shows what looks to be all original 9-10 RIA metal work. Bolt matches according to the info on the VI Shooters page and other bits appear to be correct. I haven't had it out of the stock yet to look for marks. Barrel appears to have been "contoured" on the sides with a file, otherwise nothing was done to remove evidence of the barrel sight. Has a King front sight. Checkering is flat, but is relatively free of overruns. Length of pull to the extended butt is 14 1/4". To the joint of old stock and extension is 12 3/4". I am 6'4" with 36" sleeve length and it just falls into the crook of my arm when gripped. There are lots of dings and scrapes, but not for 104 years of use, I honestly believe this ole girl was used for her intended purpose. Apparently modified for a subsequent owner and continued to soldier on. In reality it looks better than the pictures portray it. No glamour girl, but still solid and capable.

My questions at this point are
1: Has anyone here had any prior association with it and/or any information?
2: I plan to remove the "extension" and put a Silvers pad on it. If I find a hole for a trap butt plate, I have an Albright that was ground flat on the mounting surface that could be used.
3: The tang has a couple of cracks and will need repair along with a chip behind the magazine cutoff.

Comments concerning 2 & 3 solicited and appreciated.

The leather comb can be unlaced and will be saved for the next caretaker. I may check with a local saddle shop about a duplicate, but don't feel it's needed unless there are hidden surprises under it.

It ain't ignorance that does the most damage, it's knowing so derned much that ain't so! J. Billings
Sidelock
Sidelock

I've seen that rifle before someplace, but I can't recall where it was. That long slide 48 is worth the selling price of the rifle, not that you would ever want to separate them. I always like finding these old rifle like this that have never had a scope mounted or bolt handle altered. Congrats, nice find.

John

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thaine: Any idea of the purpose of what appears to be a hole in the bottom of the barrel,just forward of the Schnabel forend?

Jerry

Thaine Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

John - I agree with you, I've seen it before but can't remember where. Perhaps Gunbroker?

Jerry - Not sure, it puzzles me too. Barrel bands clamped around the issue stocks so I have no idea. The one to the rear is a threaded stud for a sling swivel, the stock is inletted for a barrel band at that point. FWIW, I don't believe the rear sling stud is correct for the period.

Thaine

It ain't ignorance that does the most damage, it's knowing so derned much that ain't so! J. Billings
Sidelock
Sidelock

I think I saw this rifle in a prior auction a few months ago. If there was ever a rifle that wore it's history on its sleeve, this is it. I bid on it what I was willing to pay and was a bit disappointed when I didn't win, but I'm glad to know the new owner is pleased with it. The stock has some Sedgley characteristics, but the flat checkering makes me think it has to be something else.

Last edited by rocky mtn bill; 01/15/15 02:50 PM. Reason: addition

Bill Ferguson
Sidelock
Sidelock

That first model Lyman 48 sight is worth at least half of what you paid for the rifle and can easily be replaced by a much less expensive later model. This is the model sight used by Wundhammer in his earliest sporters.

WJL Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I like the old soldier. I bet it would have some stories to tell.

Jerry Liles

Sidelock
Sidelock

I count at least 44 stories to tell - wonder it didn't blow up...

I think it's a great rifle. I'd put it in the early-mid 20's. Agreed it has some sedgley characteristics, but somehow I don't think it is. Where's Dan?

Congrats!

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm here Bryndon,

I don't think it's a Sedgley but who knows what they may have made before they started with their catalogs. The first catalogs state they used military barrels but they soon changed to Winchester barrels. This gun could have been an NRA sales gun.

Dan

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.