April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
10 members (CJ Dawe, graybeardtmm3, Argo44, Jimmy W, Gunning Bird, 1 invisible), 1,155 guests, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,468
Posts545,132
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

Most gunbroker sellers don't even know what DAC and DAH are. I usually have to explain how to get these measurements.

Adam

Sidelock
Sidelock

For the anti-Gun Broker types here is a listing from Vingate Doubles:

http://www.vintagedoubles.com/catalog/?gunID=2684#2684

Boss & Co. classic sidelock with sought after side lever....
Category: Hammerless Sidelocks
Gauge:12 gauge GunID: 2683
Serial: 4167
Built in @ 1892 this classic sidelock by my favorite and what I consider the top tier of English makers balances and shows all the craftsmanship I would expect. Note that this is a side lever. The steel barrels were fitted in England in 1990 by the English gun making trade and are of highest quality.
Action: Sidelock ejector with sidelever

Ejector: Yes
Barrel Type: Steel
Barrel Length: 30"
Proof:
Nitro: 2 1/2"
Black: Choke:
Left: .021 light full in 20
Right: .012 IC

Minimum Wall Thickness:
Left: .031
Right: .030 LOP: 14 3/4"
Drop:
Comb: 1 7/16"
Heel: 2"
Cast Off: 3/16"
Cast On:

Weight: 6 lbs. 12 oz.
FFL Required: No

USMC Retired
Sidelock
Sidelock

i did not see the thread as anti Gunbroker- more as frustration that the sellers using the service need some education

I am watching one - where all the info you would want is listed as we would like.

but, often I have had to explain what measurements I was asking for. I recently asked about chokes on a Fox and the guy gave me the barrel weight mark and the choke in thousands- i thanked him for the measurement and explain the use of marks on a Fox as barrel weights not chokes- he was appreciative, he is a rifle gunsmith selling the Fox for someone, and said he learned something.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Vintage Doubles does a good job. So does Champlin. I know Tom Bryant at Cabela's has made an effort to get the Gun Library people to post photos of barrel flats on their website. Sometimes successful, sometimes not. Mark Beasland has been putting more of his inventory on Guns International, and he's giving you pretty much everything you want. I'm always surprised that even some dealers who specialize in doubles don't include a lot of information informed buyers would like to know.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Well....it's an old 'selling trick' that dealers use. They don't bother listing details because they WANT you to have to call them so they have a chance to sink their hook into you.

Look at it this way - a dealer not listing details serves two purposes. He might sell the gun to someone who never asks; the less a buyer asks the less a dealer has to lie and cover up. Or, he might get a call from someone a little more informed in which case he knows he is talking to someone more likely to appreciate the gun and pay for it. Either way, his laziness in listing pays off for him.

Sidelock
Sidelock

This measurement is something I've never heard before. Perhaps someone i.e. Rocketman can explain. Thanks.

"unmounted swing effort and mounted swing effort"

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: GregSY

Well....it's an old 'selling trick' that dealers use. They don't bother listing details because they WANT you to have to call them so they have a chance to sink their hook into you.

Greg,

You nailed it! They aren't lying in their devious minds if they do not disclose faults and a buyer doesn't ask.

USMC Retired
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Some dealers can not even get the correct gauge listed for their items for sale. I have had four guns delivered to me that were not the gauge they were listed as being. I have seen dozens of guns incorrectly listed to gauge size just by serial number alone. If simple things like gauge or size can not be figured out how much hope is there for more complex things to be measured by many who do not understand or care about them in the first place.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: KY Jon
Some dealers can not even get the correct gauge listed for their items for sale. I have had four guns delivered to me that were not the gauge they were listed as being. I have seen dozens of guns incorrectly listed to gauge size just by serial number alone. If simple things like gauge or size can not be figured out how much hope is there for more complex things to be measured by many who do not understand or care about them in the first place.

So true. I bought a nice Thomas Bland & Sons hammergun. It was listed as a 12Ga, but it turned out to be a 10. It was so nice I didn't return it.

Regards
Ken

I prefer wood to plastic, leather to nylon, waxed cotton to Gore-Tex, and split bamboo to graphite.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Mark Ouellette
For the anti-Gun Broker types here is a listing from Vingate Doubles:

http://www.vintagedoubles.com/catalog/?gunID=2684#2684

Boss & Co. classic sidelock with sought after side lever....
Category: Hammerless Sidelocks
Gauge:12 gauge GunID: 2683
Serial: 4167
Built in @ 1892 this classic sidelock by my favorite and what I consider the top tier of English makers balances and shows all the craftsmanship I would expect. Note that this is a side lever. The steel barrels were fitted in England in 1990 by the English gun making trade and are of highest quality.
Action: Sidelock ejector with sidelever

Ejector: Yes
Barrel Type: Steel
Barrel Length: 30"
Proof:
Nitro: 2 1/2"
Black: Choke:
Left: .021 light full in 20
Right: .012 IC

Minimum Wall Thickness:
Left: .031
Right: .030 LOP: 14 3/4"
Drop:
Comb: 1 7/16"
Heel: 2"
Cast Off: 3/16"
Cast On:

Weight: 6 lbs. 12 oz.
FFL Required: No
Semper Fi, Mark. I have purchased two L.C. Smiths from Kirby Hoyt in the past 2 years- the last one was my first L.C. Smith with the HOT, and just prior to shipping it out to my FFL gunsmith in Grand Rapids, he answered my question about the trigger not doubling by firing out in his backyard while his wife held the phone, so I could hear each shot, single fire, with the selector set in either mode. How's that for service over and above. Plus, as fellow Veterans, we can appreciate the fact that Kirby covers the shipping and insurance cost on his sales to any Vet- NQA-- I met him at the Sagola shoot in the UP in June 2010, and I will endorse him to any prospective gun buyer, anywhere, anytime!! RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.