March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (NZHunter, L. Brown, LGF, SKB), 230 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,976
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#392268 01/30/15 09:35 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

It has been quite a while since I have posted. I frankly have taken a break from doubles to concentrate on Colts and Winchesters. I came across these and now I am back in the fold.

I know there are a few fine Meridens out there but this is the nicest one I have owned. I had a diamond before, but not in near this condition. When they wanted to, Sears could make a fine gun.. The LC Smith speaks for itself. I thought it would be nice to see them side to side, so to speak..

Sidelock
Sidelock

If that is a Meriden on the bottom that is a nicely made shotgun. I don't know about them but with the chain Damascus barrels I don't believe that would be their highest grade. The Monogram L.C. Smith does speak for itself.
Very nice.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

That is a very nice Meriden! Glad you're back into doubles! See you in Louisville?

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I will be there. Got my table reserved and everything.... I look forward to seeing you there.
Also, yes Meriden made higher grades, but I have copies of Sears catalogs and advertising that claims that the diamond is the highest grade they publicly offered.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks for sharing the pictures.
Any better close-ups of the engraving on the Meriden?
Will these guns be on your table?

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

They will be there. Along with some other neat stuff! The engraving on this gun is very sharp. I cannot express too strongly the condition of this gun. There is some fading of the case color in spots , but the appearance is basically that of a 100 year old new old stock gun. It even has a horn butt-plate with the requisite worm holes. I mean, this is one hell of a Meriden. Most of these guns were used up.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks Wallis,
Perhaps I'll get to see them.
The Meriden looks like a survivor.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The 1915-1916 Sears catalog illustrates the Diamond Grade with Damascus.
"Two Meriden Hammerless Guns in which an especially high degree of perfection in all details of strength, balance and beauty of design has been attained, guns which can be classed among the finest product of world renowned American skill in gun manufacture."
In 1916 the manufacturing facility was sold to New England Westinghouse, possibly because Westinghouse had just received a contract to produce Mosen Nagant rifles and bayonets for Russia. Some guns were produced in another factory on Center Street in Meriden until 1918 when Sears announced that the Meriden Fire Arms Company would discontinue the manufacture of sporting guns

Confusion exists regarding the A.J. Aubrey/ Meriden Fire Arms doubles and the other line of much higher grade guns called "THE MERIDEN GUN."
The 1910 Meriden Fire Arms Co. catalog shows the following grades - A with Whitworth, Krupp, or 6-blade damascus for $250 with AE, B with Krupp or 6-blade for $185 with AE, C with Krupp or 4-blade for $110 with AE, D "Trap Gun" with Krupp or 3-blade for $90 with AE, E "Quail Gun" with Krupp and ONLY 16G for $60 (no AE offered), F with Krupp or 3-blade for $60 with AE, G with Krupp for $40.
Production of these guns was quite limited, and I don't know the dates of production. It is not known if the intended market for these more expensive models may have been Fred Biffar's company or other national dealers.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks Drew! I was actually referring to that advertisement and a Sears Catalog from 1914 or 1912.

I do find Meriden's fascinating. The problem is , I don't usually find them in very good shape.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I recently picked up a Meriden that looks a lot like yours. The number on the water table is 58 supposedly the grade. How did you determine that yours is a diamond grade. Mine has the identical engraving,horn cap and buttplate, stunning wood (except the fore end as with yours), and 28 inch chain damascus barrels as well. Could mine be a diamond as well?

Last edited by dubbletrubble; 03/30/15 10:29 AM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.