March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Hoot4570, playing hooky, jcn, GeorgeGibbs505, SKB, Pat Gidley), 858 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,018
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I have a JP Sauer mauser 98 Sporting Rifle from the 1930s.

On the right side of the receiver ring is a stamped serial number, and this same number is on the bottom of the Octagon/round Krupp barrel.
But there is also a different serial number on the bottom of the receiver behind the recoil lug. This second number or at least the last few digits of it are also found on the Bolt, shroud, safety and cocking piece. As would a numbers-matching military rifle.

What is odd is the location of that second serial number. Being on the bottom of the action. As most military action serial numbers are on the side of the receiver, at least visible with the stock on it.

I wonder, is the action maybe one originally built for Military use and then built into a sporter by Sauer. Or was the action maybe sold to Sauer by Oberndorf as a sporting action meant to be assembled by Sauer in their own way. But I thought Sauer was making their own actions as well.

Either way, the action had one number and then the second number was put on it when the rifle was finished.

B.Dudley
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm no expert but I believe the # under the receiver would indicate a commercial Oberndorf serial #, there should also be one on the back of the mag. box. Post this # and you'll be able to establish the date of mfg. of the action at least.
Sounds like a nice rifle - pics. would be nice & helpful.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

I agree with John Can.s assessment.Are you sure of the 1930s date? After WW1,military actions were usually used.Maybe a 1930s rework of an earlier rifle. Jim Cate can help with the Sauer serial number.
Mike

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I will get photos up when I get the chance.
The number on the bottom of receiver is 44597. This full number is also on the back of the mag box. Partials of this number are on the bolt, bolt shroud, safety, cocking piece, floor plate, trigger sear and the double set kickoff piece.

The finished serial number that is on the right side of the receiver ring is 182681. This full number is on the bottom of the barrel. Partials of this number are on the trigger guard assembly by triggers, floor plate and underside of lever floor plate release.

The follower is not marked.

As you can see, some parts are double stamped and some parts, like the trigger kickoff piece has the original receiver number suggesting the action was originally a sporting action.

I say 1930s due to the history of the rifle that I know. The rifle was originally owned by a U.S. Congressman from Minnesota. The stock has an oval inlaid in the toe line that has his name engraved in it. His grandson confirmed that him and his wife had vacationed to Europe every winter from 1930 to about 1937 for skiing. And after the war never really took any other trips to Europe. So he likely purchased the rifle on one of those trips.

B.Dudley
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

The Mauser number places it likely in 1911,which is prewar and be before Military actions were widely used.You would have to ask someone else about the Sauer number, I'm not up on them and don't know if it would be ca 1911-12.Another "tell", since you mentioned the "kick off", is Mauser factory DSTs during this period were built into the trigger guard,whereas "after market" ones were a separate assembly, pinned into the trigger guard.
Mike

Last edited by Der Ami; 02/09/15 08:28 PM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

In looking through my Mauser book, which I am about half way through, there is a photo of a JP Sauser rifle that is captioned as being pre WWI, and it looks identical to mine in almost every feature. And yes, the One number does put it in 1911 Oberndorf production.

I have contacted the modern day Sauer company to see if maybe they have any records that might tell me anything. I am not hopful, but you never know.

That photo in the book shows a stock oval. So maybe that oval was a standard feature on Sauer Mausers of that era.

The gentleman who owned my rifle and has his name engraved in the oval very well may have purchased the rifle second hand in the 30s, in Europe and has his name engraved in the oval after the fact. Not purchased the rifle new.

B.Dudley
Sidelock
Sidelock

Mr. Dudley - I'm just curious but is there any mark on the right side barrel flat between the receiver and rear sight? --- John

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

B.Dudly,
I think I know what John Can is curious about and it might be helpful if you examine the right side of the butt stock to see if it shows signs of any markings or where a plate may have been attached(4 filled screw holes).The modern S&S will not be able to help you, but Jim Cate can.BTW I think I forgot to mention, the reason Sauer had to buy mauser actions from Oberndorf is because Mauser's patents were still in force.
Mike

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

There are no alterations to the stock at all and there is nothing on the right side of the barrel. Above the wood at least. As I recall from the last time I had the action out of the wood, there is nothing below it either, except for proof markings on the bottom.

B.Dudley
Sidelock
Sidelock

Taking barreled action out of stock for reasons other than sorely needed thorough cleaning is foolish and can lead to stock cracking from improperly torqued screws. I wish people stopped doing that.

It is sporting rifle made on not for K98 OMA. Let see some pics.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.