April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Jem Finch, skeettx, LRF, 3 invisible), 1,042 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,467
Posts545,122
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: RyanF
This one is marked AO Neidner on the barrel but the barrel band attaches to a sling swivel base.
Somebody put a pad on it so we will never know if it was marked under the butt plate.

Shelhamer?

Hard to tell. The grip does not look like his work at all, but the bottom view of the forend sure does, and the comb nose fluting could be. The inletting sure looks to be top notch whoever did it. What is the serial number of the receiver? If it is a Shelhamer stock, I'd guess it to be an early one that was refinished and the white line spacers added at a later date. But that is just a guess. Sure looks like it was a well built rifle. I think getting rid of the white line under the grip cap, and a new pad would do wonders for that rifle.

John

Last edited by gasgunner; 03/16/15 09:19 PM. Reason: I kan't spell
Sidelock
Sidelock

The A O Niedner mark rather than Niedner Rifle Co means it is early.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I set up to make a few of these on my small, bench top horizontal mill, milling them straight using the dividing head and then counter boring them for the screw as needed and then parting them off. They are not hard to make at all and of course another opportunity to fake a Shelhamer. John's "identifiers" are well thought out observations and I hope I can remember them. This is a great thread!Gary

Sidelock
Sidelock

gasgunner,

The Springfield serial # is 1229385. 701 is stamped on the barrel(by Niedner, I guess).

Here is an old thread on this gun: http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbt...8290#Post148290

I was curious if you thought this was a Shelhamer stock.

Last edited by RyanF; 03/17/15 01:58 PM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks for the link. Looks like we came to the conclusion the last time that it likely was, but had been refinished at some time. I see no reason to change that opinion. Regardless of who did it, the workmanship displayed in the fitting of the stock make it a rifle to be proud to own.

John

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.