Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#396699 03/06/15 09:26 PM
CMWill Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

This week we are getting back to doubles. Please remember to keep it clean and pick your favorite of the two below.

Think if you only had the choice of one dead double below to bring to an upland, waterfowl or clays "gunfight"! May the best gun win!

Gunfight Friday Round #4 - Dead Doubles

Ruger Gold Label vs. Classic Doubles Imports

Ruger Gold Label
Said to be one of Bill Ruger's final projects, the Gold Label was announced in 2002 but production issue kept it from dealer shelves for another two years. Ruger stopped offering it around 2006, officially making a dead double.

Classic Doubles Imports
Produced in Tochigi City, Japan and imported by Classic Doubles. These stout guns were sadly declared dead doubles by 1990.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I was able to shoot the Gold Label Larry Brown had for a field test. First time I shot it was the best round of skeet I have shot. It was on my short list until they stopped making them. Taught me don't dawdle if you really like it. Wish I had jumped, I really liked it. Mark

Sidelock
Sidelock

Gold Label if barrels are regulated correctly. Bobby

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm just about certain the Classic Doubles 201 pictured is a Parker Repro action in different dress. Not long after Classic Doubles shut down, I bought one of these -- a 20 ga. -- from leftover inventory brought into the U.S. by a pretty big dealer, can't recall which one. Seems to me they had the guns assembled and finished here. I returned mine during the inspection period, frame showed a very rough level of polishing. Here's another pic I found online showing the underside of the frame.

Though wood to metal fit was inconsistent on the Gold Labels, some were quite good. After looking at several for a buddy, I found a nice one that he bought and loves and shoots very very well. They were only made in 12 ga., his feels like it's less than 6-1/2 lbs, balance is slightly forward. I'd have bought that gun except I already had a 12 ga. in "game gun" style.

Jay

Last edited by Gunflint Charlie; 03/07/15 12:27 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'll go with the Gold Label. I was fortunate enough to shoot one for a few days and enjoyed it. Very nice shooting and handling gun. Sad to see Ruger discontinue this one. It was the only Ruger shotgun I liked.

Mike Koneski

MOLON LABE
Sidelock
Sidelock

I love the weight on the Gold Label so my vote is for the Gold Label. And I'm still hoping and praying that Ruger sees the light FINALLY and OFFERS their Red Label at that light of weight.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Looks like we have seen the last of ruger made SXSs and O/Us...maybe they will import something and put the ruger ledger on it.. smirk

gunut
MIKE THE BEAR
Unregistered
MIKE THE BEAR
Unregistered

Gold Label gets my vote. Shot one once and thought it was a wonderful gun. I've looked at used ones over the years but haven't "pulled the trigger" on buying one yet.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm very happy with my Gold Label. My brother ordered two near the end of production and gave me the one with the pistol grip for a retirement present, since he prefers straight grips.

Both have performed very well, although neither of us shoots 3". (I think I have the Ruger logo permanently stamped on my right shoulder from a bad mount with 3" when shooting wild phez! Partly sloppy shooting and partly a too-light gun for magnums. Got the rooster anyway....)

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ohhh ... not pleasant to even think about 3" shells with that light a gun.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.