May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
7 members (FlyChamps, cpa, Borderbill, LGF, Sandlapper, 1 invisible), 333 guests, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,520
Posts545,735
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#397385 03/13/15 04:28 PM
CMWill Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

This week we are looking at two "classics"..or maybe only one classic, you be the judge. Please remember to keep it clean and pick your favorite of the two below.

Think if you only had the choice of one double below to bring to an upland, waterfowl or clays "gunfight"! May the best gun win!

Gunfight Friday Round #5 - Carbon (& Wood!) Copies

Parker Reproductions vs Parker Brothers

Parker Reproductions
Parker Repros were manufactured at the Olin-Kodensha plant in Tochigi, Japan until around 1989. Only offered in DHE, BHE and maybe a few rare higher grades, the Parker Repros were quite faithful and attractive copies of the original Parker guns.

Parker Brothers
The original Parker guns were built in Meriden, Connecticut for over seventy years. Nicknamed "Old Reliable" and for good reason, many original Parker Bros guns are still being reliably used today.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I work on both pretty much on a daily basis ,and a faithful rendition the repro is indeed...both beautiful guns ,but the new ones just don't "feel " the same I can't explain it .I would take an original any day.
But ,the chance of taking a pristine DH Parker (reproduction )out for a bird and not worrying about ruining an heirloom is quite attractive .

Last edited by Newf; 03/13/15 09:43 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

A scratch or finish wear on a BHE Repro is much more an issue than that same scratch or finish wear on an original. I hunt and shoot my original Parkers on a daily basis, but I'm afraid to take my 28 gauge Repro out of the house for fear of making it somewhat less than "new".

Sidelock
Sidelock

I guess I wouldn't worry so much about a DHE Repro, but agree that I might be concerned about a BHE. I owned an A-1 Special 2 barrel set for a time. (Factory engraving, not the fancier custom stuff.) Very nice gun, but one reason I parted with it was that I didn't want to take it hunting. It also had a trigger deficiency: Only one.

One advantage the Repros have is better dimensions than most of the originals. No question you can find originals with decent dimensions, but it does require some looking to come up with both modern dimensions and the other characteristics you're looking for. I just wish they'd made more DT Reproductions.

Sidelock
Sidelock

When I fell for sxs guns, Parker was the main reason. Call it 1st love or whatever, but make mine the original article!...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'd choose a Parker Reproduction everytime. Better everything, including value -- except collectibility, but their time will come. I can afford and justify the cost of ownership of a 28-ga. Repro, I could never justify the cost of ownership of a similar conditioned 28-ga. 00-framed original.

Wild Skies
Since 1951
Sidelock
Sidelock

Old reliable all the way. Don't like the fake engraving. Don't like the carnival glass looking case colors. Don't like shiny. Don't like high nose on the comb. Don't like made in Japan. Other than that Repos are OK. I guess.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Boy! This one presents a lot of ifs.

Bought with my own money, just to use? Repro every time. Crazy money and content to leave it in a closet? The original.

The Repros out there are mostly as-new guns. Do I assume the original Parker would be in similar condition? If so, go with the original.

By far, the Repros have more shootable dimensions, as was pointed out above.

Reliability? Not much to complain about with either.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Tracy
Don't like the fake engraving.

It's real. The D-Grade may not be 100% hand-engraved, but it's definitely real.

Wild Skies
Since 1951
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Neither. I can't figure out how the Parker ever came to be named "Old Reliable" with all the stuff inside of them, and all the pinned stock heads I have seen over the years. The Parker Reproduction single trigger was described to me as "crunchy" by someone, years ago (wish I had thought of it) and, it fits, perfectly.

Best,
Ted

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.