April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (Birdog), 1,046 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,467
Posts545,124
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Local gun dealer has a reasonably plain G&H on a Springfield action in very nice shape, save for one small ding in the checkering on the pistol grip and a bit of rust on the front of the front sight ramp and the barrel crown (looks like it stood upright a very long time, collected dust in those areas and the dust attracted moisture) which I believe would mostly clean up with some attention. Banded ramp front sight with hood still present, Balvar scope in a top mount (not a G&H side mount, sadly), no rear sight on the barrel. G&H number on the barrel is 224x. Had a few questions:

Would this be a pre-war gun?

There is a mount for a peep sight on the left side of the receiver. I've seen them on the right side, but never the left. Has a filler block but the sight assembly is long since gone. Is this sight assembly any harder to find than the ones mounted on the right side? Are the sight assemblies interchangeable?

I see the asking prices on Gunsinternational for G&H rifles. What's a realistic value range?

Thanks.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think if you email Mr Bob Beach (Beach@griffinhowe.com ) he will tell you about when it was made.
Without seeing it its hard to tell but I would guess at auction 2-2500.

Hillary For Prison 2018
Sidelock
Sidelock

According to Michael s information, your rifle would have been built about 1957-58.

John

Sidelock
Sidelock

Are you sure the rifle is based on a Springfield action? Could it be a Mauser or a Model 54 Winchester? I can think of no conceivable way a receiver sight could be mounted on the left side of a Springfield receiver, unless it was far enough forward to clear the magazine cut-off/bolt stop. A photograph would certainly help.

You might consult the G&H web site for comparable pricing. G&H usually have one or two of their rifles for sale with accompanying photos.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: xausa
Are you sure the rifle is based on a Springfield action? Could it be a Mauser or a Model 54 Winchester? I can think of no conceivable way a receiver sight could be mounted on the left side of a Springfield receiver, unless it was far enough forward to clear the magazine cut-off/bolt stop. A photograph would certainly help.

You might consult the G&H web site for comparable pricing. G&H usually have one or two of their rifles for sale with accompanying photos.

I was thinking the same thing, but then I seem to recall seeing a sight one time that replaced the bolt stop, and had a smaller bolt stop built into the sight. Not sure where I seen it, and I think I have only seen one. Where is Gary?

John

Sidelock
Sidelock

I hate to say it but this is where pictures are worth money. There is plenty experience among the folks here to help you avoid a potential mistake.

That said the description makes us wonder that this may be 'cobbled" together. John, I have seen that also, and if you hadn't mentioned it, I could have told you where. The number says early, but that alone means nothing if severely modified or in not economically restorable condition/configuration. Again, the folks here will help if you can get pics of at least the questionable issues.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The mounts that allow use of Redfield International Target sights are installed on the left side of the receiver.

Dodging lions and wasting time.....
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Ken Nelson
The mounts that allow use of Redfield International Target sights are installed on the left side of the receiver.

They mount to the top on a Springfield and extend over the left side.

John

Sidelock
Sidelock

John,

Are you speaking of the 03 or 03A? I know the special bases made by Champions Choice mounted to the top. But I'm pretty sure I have two NOS bases that mount on the side. I may be trippin... I'll check my mount box tonight.

Ken

Last edited by Ken Nelson; 03/17/15 12:25 PM.

Dodging lions and wasting time.....
Sidelock
Sidelock

If mounted to the side they would have to be forward of the magazine cut-off. Generally you drilled and tapped the recevier and the base stuck out the left for the Redfield style sights. Could be done both ways.

Based on the original post I believe it is a sporting rifle that we are talking about, so I suspect it would not have a redfield target type base. The OP also mentions a top mounted scope, so that would seem to eliminate the possibility of a top mounted sight base. I am wondering if what the OP is calling a sight mount might actually be some sort of side scope mount that is missing the rings. Photos would be a great help.

John

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.