April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (canvasback, Fudd), 488 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,473
Posts545,160
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#398646 03/24/15 11:35 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

This is kind of a funny question, but what do you do when your gun ends up spending a whole lot more time at the gunsmith's than originally promised? I have two guns with different gunsmiths who are both way past initially proposed completion dates with no delivery date in sight. In one case, the work was promised in 6 weeks and 9 months later the gunsmith is not returning my occasional calls. In the other, the work was promised in 4-6 months and over two years have passed - that gunsmith is responding but is not making any commitments for completing the work.

Do you smile and be patient? Ask for the guns back? Other options?

Thanks in advance, Doverham

Such a long, long time to be gone, and a short time to be there.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I once had a gun at Walkers Arms in Selma.They kept it for two plus years.I called and told them to send it back and got it two weeks later repaired. Bobby

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

I'm reluctant to offer advice or even comment as it may endanger the lives of my loved ones currently held hostage. LOL

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

I would call the communicating gunsmith once a month and try to get what the next step on my gun was to be. The next month I would call him and ask him if he had started on that step. I wouldn't be rude, short, or sarcastic.

I would email the non-responsive smith. I would ask him to return my gun and to let me know how much I owe him. If no response after a month then I would snail mail him the same request. If no response after another month then send a registered letter with the same request. If no response after another month I would send another registered letter threatening to turn him into the appropriate authorities.

As long as they are talking to me I have hope.

I am glad to be here.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Doverham
the work was promised in 4-6 months and over two years have passed - that gunsmith is responding but is not making any commitments for completing the work.

Good work does take time, and you don't mention what work was being done.
At the end of 2 years I would expect it to be a very high end total restoration project.
I would expect in that time I would be updated as to the progress of the work, and informed of any problems that would hold up progress.
For anything other than that it is way too long, and I would want my gun back.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Quote:
Good work does take time

That has been my dilemma - both gunsmiths are craftsmen and I have not wanted to push them.

Quote:
At the end of 2 years I would expect it to be a very high end total restoration project.

That project involved restocking a boxlock, along with modifying a f/e iron for SBTFE. The other project involved light engraving and installing a long tang trigger guard and slimming an Italian OU stock down to more elegant proportions.

Thanks for the suggestions, and some input on what should be reasonable expectations.

Last edited by Doverham; 03/24/15 01:38 PM.

Such a long, long time to be gone, and a short time to be there.
Sidelock
Sidelock

For whatever reason, talented gunsmiths seem to get a case of writer's block (for lack of a better description) over some projects. I've noted that "outing" a recalcitrant workman on this forum works wonders...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

The problem you have is your smiths took on a job they just not that interested in doing for some reason. Perhaps work was slow when they agreed to do the job and easier work came along afterwards so your job keeps getting pushed back. Perhaps they a taking new jobs on for regular patrons and don't want to risk loosing regular jobs for your one of a kind. Only your smith knows.

Two years is too long. Face facts, another two years might still not see the job done. Ask for the return of your gun and any money you have paid and find another person to do the job. Some jobs can be done only if you find someone is willing and abel to do the job. Sounds like your smiths just can't get started much less finish your work. Sorry for the time you have spent waiting but life is too short.

SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

On the vast majority of jobs this is way too long to wait. That said I have some that have been in my shop that long. They are total restorations involving re-barreling, parts fabrication, welding of mis-placed holes, engraving restoration, metal finish and restocking. These kind of jobs take time because I need to work with other craftsmen on them. I know several stock makers that are at least 2 years back logged. All that said, I always try to respond to phone calls and email promptly.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

I once dropped off a very pedestrian gun (a Savage 212 slug gun) for a very pedestrian job (trigger job). The smithy said "2 weeks" but still had it 6 months later, and hunting season was starting that month.

I called to ask about a completion time. The smithy said it was "all apart now" and it would be another few weeks, which was too long for me. I told him to write up a bill for whatever I owed him for work done till that point, and to put the parts in a box, because I would be by that Friday morning to pick it up.

When I arrived to get the gun, the gunsmith handed me the completed gun. He had that morning's newspaper spread out on his work bench, a TV with "Goodmorning America" going in the background, a big pot of coffee brewing. Looked like he was "settling in" for another hard day's work.

I'll let others decide if this has any application to a true master craftsman restocking a fine old double, etc.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.