April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (graybeardtmm3, eeb, jake van dyke), 428 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,478
Posts545,198
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#399543 04/01/15 01:30 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Is bending barrels a legitimate way to solve a POA problem? I have a field gun that shoots low (~20/80), both POI and POA. It is open choked so it is not feasible to change the POA through eccentric choking. And for various reasons, it is not an option to adjust POI by bending, restocking, etc.

Aside from the stories about gun barrels and forked trees, can barrels be bent in a controlled manner to alter POA?

Thanks in advance, Doverham

Such a long, long time to be gone, and a short time to be there.
SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I just built a barrel bending jig for this very purpose. Once I have done one I will let you know but the way I built mine the amount of bend is very controllable. I built mine so I can install variable size stops. I plan on using gauges pins to allow for differences in amount of bend. Should be an interesting project which I plan to document.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

Back in the 50's I can remember the old trap shooters banging their SBT on full shot bags to change POI.

bill

Sidelock
Sidelock

I shot skeet with a fellow who bent the end of his barrel up to change the point of impact on every gun he owned. He claimed he had a "distorted" vision problem and needed his gun bent up to give him a point of impact three feet high at 21 yards. It was a blast to shoot one of his guns. Just had to hold under everything about a foot until the birds were at the center stake then you needed to hold under more.

His "controlled" method was to place his barrel in between two boards on the fence and gradually bend the barrel. Go shoot a few birds and repeat until his point of impact was where he wanted it. I watched him do it to a D grade 1100 barrel and I just wanted to give him a standard barrel to bend so badly. He wouldn't her of it. It was his gun and he would do with it what he wanted to. I later wished that I had bought that D grade out of his estate. I think with care it could have been restored to normal condition or left as is as a interesting conversation item.

I watched a gunsmith straighten a Browning A5 barrel by slamming in into several bags of shot. He claimed that A5 barrels were very soft and easy to bend and later bend back as needed. Took him several tries with a few shots at a pattern plate to confirm his progress. Guess he never learned the fence boards method. wink What ever works I guess.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Google Ljutic banana gun.
CHAZ

Sidelock
Sidelock

I had a friend bend a barrel on a 20ga Franci auto using it to strike a not yet dead rabbit behind the ears. Moved the point of impact about 3 feet left and 2 feet up! Laughed my butt off watching him try to shoot another rabbit with it and try to explain it to his father when he got home.

tw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Larry Gravestock of ATA fame made barrel bending a norm. Goggle him or see the ATA Hall of Fame for some of his accomplishments. He was also a great flyer shot.

I've a friend who has a 30" 28ga. double w/the barrels bent upward for just the reason(s) you describe. I can ask him who did that work, if you like. It was done so long ago that I can't recall who did it for him now. FWIW, he has used the gun extensively since that work was done, inclusive of some S.A. dove shoots and never looked back.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks for the responses. Steve, I am very interested to hear more about your bending jig.

Just like stock bending can be done on a measured basis (1/8" bend up will move the pattern up 2" at 16 yards), I would think bending the barrel could be done in a controlled manner to produce a specified outcome. Out of respect for my gun, I am hoping to avoid methods that involve banging, forked trees, or dead rabbits . . . .

Such a long, long time to be gone, and a short time to be there.
Sidelock
Sidelock

All this reminds me of my late friend Clovis LeJune,from 1968-9, in Columbus Ga. I was in his shop one night when a customer came in with a Rem. 11-48, saying he couldn't hit with it any more. June said "I can see your problem from here, your barrel is bent".The customer asked if he could replace the barrel.June said he could and could have the barrel within a week,for $48.The dove season was opening the next morning, so the time frame wasn't fast enough.June said he could repair it, that night, for $25.The customer said to do it and June cleared off a space on his workbench, to lay the barrel on. He reached under the bench and withdrew a short piece of 2x4.He held the barrel up, looked down it, lay it back on the bench,hit it with the 2x4,and went through the process again.He was then satisfied, put the gun back together, and gave the customer an empty oil can to place on a stump outside the side shop door.He loaded the gun with 2 shells and had the customer shoot the can.It was centered by the pattern, both shots.The told the customer,"OK, that will be $25". The customer balked, saying "You mean to charge me $25 for hitting my barrel twice with a 2x4?". June replied" No, that was free, I'm charging you for knowing where and how hard to hit it".I miss June.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

OK, I know this thread is about scientistic, controlled barrel bending, but I have a personal story of a forked tree bend that worked. I began serious shooting at 11 or 12 years of age with a Remington 20ga Model 31. My mother had taken a fall in a middle GA red clay gully with the gun and the barrel was noticeably bent to the left.

I figured out where the gun shot and learned to adjust. I'd hold 2" to the right to shoot a dove off a limb. I didn't have to lead anything flying right to left but had to double my lead for left to right shots.

One day I got tired of all that and put the barrel in the notch of a forked dogwood tree in the front yard and bent it back straight. Problem solved!...Geo

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.