April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (David Williamson, Lloyd3, NCTarheel), 1,045 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,468
Posts545,127
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

Are the barrels supposed to have two different serial numbers on them?

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ted, there are a number of original Lefevers that have two different serial numbers on the barrels. The thinking is that the second non-matching serial number indicates that the gun was returned to the factory for additional work such as addition of automatic ejectors, replacing a damaged barrel, etc. This practice is estimated to have eaten up about 5000 serial numbers, but no one knows for certain.

I have never seen a Lefever with a screw right through the middle of the serial number on the trigger guard tang. And I agree with Bobby about the trigger plate screw. I would expect to see an engraved screw head on a C grade. The fine Damascus doesn't look as fine as that found on a lot of lower grade guns either, but I wouldn't go out on a limb and say they are not original to the gun. Same with the chokes, but most are choked quite a bit tighter. I did contact this seller about personally inspecting a gun a few years ago since she is less than two hours away from me, but I was told that was not possible. I note that the inspection/return policy is unspecified too, but before I bid on anything with a $6500.00 starting bid, I'd be asking lots of questions.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Very interesting. Note that the second serial number on the barrels is lower than the frame number. That doesn't make sense to me as I would expect it to be higher if returned for repairs or alteration after it left the factory.
Instead I would propose this is a second set of barrels that were fitted to the gun, perhaps at the time of purchase. See the upcoming newsletter (it went to press yesterday) concerning a C grade two barrel set of almost identical serial numbers.
Marks 21 is correct about last year's Las Vegas fiasco.

Great-Great Grandson of D.M. Lefever
www.lefevercollectors.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

I would not be suspect of this gun as a whole at all, but then again I'm not spending 6500 for it.
The thing I see that is most unique is a C grade with single animal motifs. "Most" have double dogs and double ducks on guard.

Clearly two screws are incorrect and possibly the buttplate has replaced a cut stock and old recoil pad but nothing else looks out of whack to me.

I have good photos of the following comparisons should anyone want to see them.
35000 CE. Much less ornate than subject. Same barrel markings same quality damascus.
38000 CE. Much more ornate than subject "Lefever Arms Co Krupp Fluid Steel" fine print on both barrels
39000 CE. Lateral move on ornamentation. Less on sideplates, more on bottom. Same barrels and marking as subject gun.

Sidelock
Sidelock

DrBob, please explain how this seller is related to the "Las Vegas Fiasco". Please also explain whether or not the "Las Vegas Fiasco" resulted in a bad gun being sold to an unsuspecting buyer for a wrong price.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Marks 21 point was that the two are not related. They are not. I know nothing of the current seller. The Las Vegas event involved a legitimate gun which was sold via an internet transaction, but not delivered and was being shopped around for sale after the original payment had be accepted.
My point is that the barrels are either replacements or part of a factory issue 2 barrel set and the second serial number, being earlier than the original, is unlikely to be the result of a return for repair or alteration.

Great-Great Grandson of D.M. Lefever
www.lefevercollectors.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

The barrels are a very nice 4 Iron similar to those I've seen on an Optimus, AA, A, and a B

More examples here
http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/18020839

Sidelock
Sidelock

DrBob, I would agree that this is probably an example of a gun that may have originally had two sets of barrels. In this C grade, the barrel serial number that matches the frame and forearm iron is on the right barrel. Normally, the matching barrel number is on the left barrel and the second, normally higher number is on the right barrel. Since the numbers are only 34 numbers apart, it seems possible that a second set was taken from production and used to provide a customer with a second barrel set. It would be interesting to keep track of the second number and see if a complete gun ever turns up with that number. If a barrels set was numbered 38794 and then used on 38828, it seems likely that there was a matching frame already in production. I'm sure you recall the Optimus and G grade that turned up several years ago with identical serial numbers, so stranger things have happened.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Two FE Grade Foxes turned up within days of one another several years back. Oh, well. On another subject, if I were Sally, I would be on you jerks like stink on shit for hooking me up with the Las Vegas Fiasco, with which I am very familiar and Sally had nothing to do with. Why don't you delete all of your posts and start over discussing this gun.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I know the seller very well. He is a customer of mine and very stand up guy. Retired LEO. Extremely knowledgeable and honest as the day is long. I have seen this gun and in person it is really nice. I wish I could afford it myself. Sally is his wifes name.

Last edited by dubbletrubble; 04/05/15 09:17 AM.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.