March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (canvasback, Ken Nelson, Dan S. W., Marc Ret, SKB, 1 invisible), 799 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
PA24 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

International or Domestic shipped barrels in 3" and 4" heavy walled PVC pipe are secure and arrive safe at their destination.

This PVC pipe is available at Home Depot and other hardware stores as are the matching PVC end caps.

One non-opening PVC end cap is glued onto the tube with PVC glue and also duct taped for security. The other opening end is duct taped in place and noted as the opening end with a felt tip pen.

The barrels are wrapped tightly in an old cotton bath towel and taped tight with 3" masking tape which is easy to remove from the cotton, unlike other tapes which are not easy to remove.

If wrapped properly, there is absolutely zero movement inside the PVC tube and the contents are centered in the towel and secure.

As an example, this particular tube has been back and forth Internationally a couple of times, through International customs about four times and is still on the go.....

Best Regards,

Doug

Sidelock
Sidelock

And, when you saw through the middle...never mind.

You've been showing some great examples lately Doug. I think well deserved compliments. Also, your idea works well for some fishing gear. I like to glue on a clean out fitting that has the threaded cap. I figure there's a half way decent chance that the inspections that come up now and then have a better chance of resecuring the piece, but it costs and I only need it occasionally.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I always thought plastic plumbing pipes of appropriate diameter and length would work nicely.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

When I am shipping guns, I have taken to packing the barrels in a 36 inch long 3" PVC pipe just as PA24 has shown and then putting that into the 36" box I pack the rest of the gun in. While almost no packing system is perfect, I believe this method substantial protects the barrels and the rigid ness of the pipe adds to the strength of the box the whole gun is packed in. It's adds a couple bucks to my shipping costs.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

I do the same thing with 3" PVC, it fits perfectly in the triangle priority mail document shipping boxes free from the post office.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: craigd
And, when you saw through the middle...never mind.

You've been showing some great examples lately Doug. I think well deserved compliments. Also, your idea works well for some fishing gear. I like to glue on a clean out fitting that has the threaded cap. I figure there's a half way decent chance that the inspections that come up now and then have a better chance of resecuring the piece, but it costs and I only need it occasionally.

Concur wholeheartedly.

I use 2 inch PVC for rod tubes for my fly rods, with about an inch of packing foam/sponge on each end for additional padding. A 9 foot 3/2 cane rod in its bag fits nice and firm in such a setup. It's always fun to watch the reaction from those who don't know, when I pull a Payne out of a beatup piece of PVC pipe with duct tape on the ends.

fiery, dependable, occasionally transcendent
Sidelock
Sidelock

Nice, but I use Sch. 80 CPVC pipe. Quite a bit stronger. I was glad I did when I got a set back with tire tracks on the outside.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.