Print Thread
#34954 04/09/07 12:10 AM
Tinker Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Gentlemen-

Cabela's has this gun listed-

Look interesting to me, I asked the folks in Boise to hold it for me and they kindly agreed to do so for a few days.

I've emailed a list of requested camera angles on the gun including such things as action flats, locking lugs, barrel flats, any/all proof marks, muzzles, top rib engraving, external view of the case...
Asked also about the locks, the tumbler spindle-hammer fit, if it's tight on face, if the ribs are sound, if the chambers have been messed with...

Besides all that, if the thing checks out, what do you think about the price?

Anyone here know anything about the maker?
Might this be the Belgian Masu, only having moved to London later in life?

Thanks for taking a look.

--Tinker

Sidelock
Sidelock

Brown's "London Gunmakers" has the following listing:

"Gustave Masu, 3a Wigmore Street, W. 1864; Masu Bros, 1865-1869; Gustavus Masu, 10 Wigmore Street, W. 1870-82; Masu Bros, 1883-92."

Regards - Ian Forrester
Sidelock
Sidelock

I once owned a beautiful example of this maker's guns. When determining the origin I discovered a mystery that I never sorted out.
This nineteenth century firm seems to have two sites. One in Liege and one in London. I could not determine if the gun was built in Liege and finished in London or was completely built in England. Finally decided that it did not make much difference as it was wonderfully executed and worthy of either city's best.
Seems that this was a family business where one branch was working/selling in Belgium and another working/selling in London.
I don't hear of many Masu guns and think that their Masu marked pieces are few.
Unless corrected, I think that none would be other than black powder proofed. This would make little difference if shooting with 6000/7000 PSI lead loads.
Hope that this helps.
Best,
John

Humble member of the League of Extraodinary Gentlemen (LEG). Joined 14 March, 2006. Member #1.
Tinker Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Ian, John-

Thanks to you both for your input.
John, do you have any photos of your old Masu shotgun?
I had some knowledge of the Belgians, just didn't know they'd also built guns in London.
My interest in seeing the proofs and other marks on the gun is to see if there are belgian marks on the barrels. I'm certain it was originally proofed for black powder. I doubt a proof house would permit nitro proofing a pinfire system gun.

What do you think of the asking price?

--Tinker

Sidelock
Sidelock

Tinker:
I did find the listing and have the following thoughts.
The price is at the very far end of acceptable. In other words, I think it is overpriced . Then again, it is quite nice for a pinfire. Most that we see are in far less condition. The case helps as well.
New pinfire brass and loaded shells are now available (reasonably priced) making it a better deal than a couple of years ago.
A gun. as this, would be at home at a Vintagers event and lots of fun on a gentle hunt for birds.
We each have our own point of wallet pain when assessing our toys.
Maybe a good look at this would be the analagy of comparing 20 fillups of gas for the truck and a fair price for this gun.
Best,
John

Humble member of the League of Extraodinary Gentlemen (LEG). Joined 14 March, 2006. Member #1.
Sidelock
Sidelock

A nice gun, altho' somewhat unkown, but with all the goodies - 2k seems about right!

Tinker Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

John, Lowell-

Thanks for the remarks.
Considering all, what I've paid for such vintage tools and cases (and time chasing them down/paying for shipping -- and that the serial number on the gun matches the handwritten s/n on the case lid!) the price for the shotgun doens't look so bad at all.
Actually it looks right.

Earlier today I called the gentlemen at Boise and after a bit of a 'going over' of the gun on the phone, the folks at the desk agreed to work with me and have it shipped out with an inspection period.
I should see it before the weekend, and if all's as they said on the telephone -- they'll never see it cross their counters again!

--Tinker

Tinker Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Just received the gun from Cabela's.
Looks nicer in person...

Those are Dixon tools too.

Looking at proofs, I see Liege and what might be London proofs.
There's a 'crown over N' and a 'crown over G'
Can't imagine later nitro proof on a pinfire gun!

No time to fiddle, I'm busy at work and I'll be out till late tonight. Mabye tomorrow I'll get a photo or two up here.

--Tinker

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.