April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,035 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,467
Posts545,124
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thaine Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

This arrived today and the seller has done such a good job of documenting its ills, that I am just posting a link to the ad I bought it from. 375 Whelen Sedgley

I hope maybe some of you Alaskanites may be able to shed some light on its history. I am also open to suggestions concerning the route to take for a gentle retro/restro effort. I have a Lyman 48 (125 slide) that will go back where it belongs. I also have Noske, G&H and Jaeger sidemounts that might cover the previous one. I don't know what it was but Weaver comes to mind. I also have a nice B&M 3X in the unique mount that could go on top if I just repair the left side of the stock. I want to use the rifle so am leaning more to one of the side mounts. Michael often referred to the stock hospital, if someone knows who he was referring to would you please PM me who or I am open to suggestions as to who I might use to repair the side mount area. The caliber is stamped nicely on the top of the barrel forward of the Sedgley markings otherwise all is as you see it in Mart's pictures.

edited to add, the seller got it off Gun Broker so no Alaska history other than him.
Thaine

Last edited by Thaine; 04/20/15 10:26 PM.

It ain't ignorance that does the most damage, it's knowing so derned much that ain't so! J. Billings
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm sure Mark Larson can do the wood graft should you decide not to replace the side mount. His work is shown in the doubles section fairly often.

I think I have some loaded ammo for .375 Whelen; if you want to talk about it,my contact info is in my profile.

http://www.marklarsongunart.com/#!extension-blending-portfolio

Last edited by Terry Buffum; 04/21/15 02:21 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

The seller did a good job highlighting its issues. The rifle is well used, had some modifications but not ruined. It looks like a nice project.
... Joe

Sidelock
Sidelock

Great project and price. I'll just throw this out because, it's drilled, here and there. I would take the obvious route of removing scope and be happy with screw plugs in the top, side mount of choice, patch & match the missing wood, scope, Lyman 48 and know that I had a completely usable, practical rifle with a practically new bore. This can be done with a very minimum of finishing on wood and metal and gets it up and going quickly. Very nice!!

Boxlock
Boxlock

Not sure that I would rescope it. Those three holes look to be below wood line, so plugged with screws and properly dressed down, and with a nice patch, they should hide well. Plug and dress the top holes as well and enjoy with the Lyman 48. That would be my route, although I certainly wouldn't blame you for putting a different side mount on it given you have a few to choose from.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thaine, Nice looking Sedgley, and well worth a restoration. I did a patch on an 03 a while back that had a Weaver side mount.It took a while to get the patch right but in the end it was worth the effort.
This is how it arrived, a total mess from the broken forend tip to the white line recoil pad.

The first thing I did was square the cut-out and clean the surrounding area. I would have had the receiver screw holes welded before the patch but at the time I couln't find a welder to take on the job. (May-be a good topic for another thread).

Next, I had to find a patch that closely matched the grain and color of the stock.

Work the patch until it fits the cut-out and contour of the stock. Notice the patch extends fore and aft of the cut-out, this will hide where the end grain of the patch butts to the end grain of the cut-out.

Before glueing do a dry run and make sure you have everything you need, this way you won't have to scramble for and extra clamp like I did!!!!.

Inlet the metal to the stock, then file and sand until everything looks right. Be sure not to get the patch to thin while sanding (like I did) or the end grain to end grain will show through. I had to remove the patch and start over. Dan.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Nice clean job, Dan.

Thaine Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Mountain Bear, I can still use a good peep but old eyes would appreciate optics. Otherwise your line of reasoning is very good and one I am considering.

Dan, Thanks for the show and tell! That is about as self explanatory as it gets. Great job, any Pics of the finished product? I will have to search the stock pile to see if anything is a candidate for filler.

Thanks all.
Thaine

It ain't ignorance that does the most damage, it's knowing so derned much that ain't so! J. Billings
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thaine, Sorry, I dont have any more pics and that 03 is long gone. I just wanted to show the How to (or How I did)the patch with all mistakes I made included.
I think you should have a patch applied to your new find, and Mountain Bear is correct about the side mount holes being hidden below the wood line. Get the 48 back on, then find a new bolt body and safety that have not been altered. take the scope mount off and fill the holes with screws and enjoy your Sedgley.I wouldn't get into welding them gone. The only other issue with the rifle that would bother me every time I looked at it are the vise jaw marks on the front sight ramp, but thats an easy fix.
Good luck, Dan.

H47 Offline
Boxlock
Boxlock

Newton 1131... Apologies for the slight hijack, but those red fluted plastic chisel handles and octagon steel in your pics look extremely familiar. Perhaps from Trinidad in the early '70's? I made mine in '73. Really struck a chord when I saw them.
Very nice looking patch there. Thanks for showing.

Last edited by H47; 04/26/15 09:30 AM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.