May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (Argo44, gil russell, R Reynolds, KDGJ, 1 invisible), 1,087 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,506
Posts545,621
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Anybody a Remington fan over here that could give me a rough idea on value. Gun has 32" barrels, two ivory beads. All case colors are gone. Barrel bores are bright and shinny, bluing is decent say 65 per cent. Screws are all decent. Wood looks like it had some water fowling use, probably savable but a little rough. Ordnance steel barrels, with ejectors, round knob pistol grip. 14 5/8 length of pull to front trigger with a old red head recoil pad.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have some 1894's. Paul Harm does as well.
They must have been very popular in MI.
First off, you are sure it's an 1894, not a 1900? Push button forend? Then, "Has the widows peak been cut off?" sometimes they are filled, sometimes covered, often chopped off.
Then, because of the slim hand, "Are there any cracks, repaired or otherwise, in the area of the safety slide?" They are commonly cracked through right there. "Do the ejectors work?" dainty little spring in there that goes bad.
No color, but clear crisp engraving Or, was it polished off? Are the screws on the action bottom wasted?

A low condition 1894 in fully functional, superficially restorable condition , starts at about $350.00, and goes up. But if it's been cut, the ejectors don't work, and it has no color, well, what ever you can negotiate.
There are some real nice ones out there, but also plenty with broken stocks glued and pinned back together.

What are the numbers on the bottom of the barrel lump? Add a 3 and you can ID original choke at 40 yards.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Here is a Remington 1894 CE grade with 30" damascus barrels and priced a little high, in my opinion, for the issues it has, still something to compare to anyway.

http://www.gunsinternational.com/Remingt...un_id=100558007

Model2128Ga

Sidelock
Sidelock

From your description you are describing one of my classic project guns. Bones and potential but a lot of issues. I'd bet you ten bucks the head of the stock is cracked. No case, metal good, engraving fair, LOP 14 +\- . Did I describe it correctly? Call it a 20-30-40% gun, depends on buyers or dealers viewpoint. Blue book value 700- 1100-1800 plus 25% for ord steel. A 100% gun is worth 4,800 plus 25% according to blue book. If a shooter I would be in the 1100 range and be ready to drop money to make sure the stock is good. Full restoration, done by pro could run two to three times that much depending on what you find. Engraved money pit.

I was looking at a CE with Damascus barrels needing total refinish that had a 2,600 price tag and the barrels needed the top rib relayed. I figured that gun would have been a near six- seven grand money pit if total restoration was done. And some of the surface pits were deep. Might need a good micro welder and then re-engraving. What ever you do don't tell me where it is because I am a sucker for Remington 1894 projects and need another like I need two extra wives.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Stock must have been cut because the is no evidence of widows peak. No cracks in stock and no repairs visible. Looks to have original finish. Forearm has a piece missing on both sides towards the front. Screws are nice engraving is crisp.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The crack is most often internal. You have to remove the stock to find if one exist. Recoil acts like a wedge and splits the stock at the head. Repaired with a metal staple the crack gives no future problems. If you do a search here you will find several good post with great pictures of the repair.

Be careful Remington 1894's are very addictive. Well made and become solid shooters when brought back to mechanical shape. I guess Remington stopped production before cost cutting measures made their doubles cheaper and less well fitting. They did end production about 30 years before the others gave up production.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Here's one of my fave's in action.

The stock's are typically pretty short.
Is the missing forend piece the little step detail (seen as a dark horizontal line starting at the action in this pic)? I have seen a few where one side or the other was broken off.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

One big reason Remington bailed out of the SxS business in 1910 was because of Remington's own doing. They started into production the "Browning patent" Model 11 autoloader shotgun. Much easier to make and at much greater profit return for the investment.

http://www.remington.com/products/archived/shotguns/autoloading/model-11.aspx

The Remington 1894 is my favorite SxS by far....

Model2128Ga

Last edited by Model2128Ga; 05/11/15 02:02 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Funny this question should pop up now. I'm just trying to decide on a 1894 CE that is in reasonably good shape, original stock but barrels have been cut to 25". If they had not been cut would be in my safe now.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

Interesting to see the chat regarding Remington 1894 SXSs. I too have one and have yet to have it appraised for insurance value. It's a 16ga CE with ordinance steel barrels. The gun is mint from stem to stern (100% blue, 100% CC, mirror bores, perfect screws and a nice piece of wood). I've attached some pictures but they're not all that good. The finger prints on the tubes don't help anything and the flash also pretty much hosed up showing the case colors on the picture of the right side of the receiver.

Mark

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.