May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
1 members (FlyChamps), 293 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,506
Posts545,570
Members14,417
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Sharing more photos from Michael's paper collection ...

Sidelock
Sidelock

Lovely workshop! Looks more like a breakfast porch...

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: SDH-MT
Lovely workshop! Looks more like a breakfast porch...

What a great place! Most shop floors and factories of the era looked like that, with lots of windows for natural illumination. Note that they do have a few bare light bulbs dangling down over some workstations, but none of the big overhead lights that we would see today.

I always wondered how much maintenance all of those overhead drive belts required. Did they need daily or weekly attention? Or were they more robust than they appear?

Last edited by Peconga; 05/31/15 09:32 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Peconga
I always wondered how much maintenance all of those overhead drive belts required. Did they need daily or weekly attention? Or were they more robust than they appear?

When I worked for Packard Electric, they had several banks of ancient machines called Braiders which braided nylon thread around partially finished spark plug cable before the outer silicone jacket was applied. A bank of ten or twelve Braiders ran off of a large single electric motor which ran a line shaft behind the machines. Each Braider had a 6" wide flat leather belt continuously turning, and a hand clutch engaged the machine to start it. They ran three shifts five days a week, and I never once had to repair or replace a belt during the seven months I worked in that department. The only time they went down was either when an individual Braider had something malfunctioning, or for a few minutes when the operator had to replace near empty spools of thread. The large spools of partially finished spark plug cable held at least 10,000 feet per roll, and these flat leather belts were running the machine and also slowly turning these roughly 5 ft. diameter metal spools of cable as it was fed out, braided, and rewound on another spool. As I recall, I once had to put a leather belt back on the pulleys after it had walked off. But I'd have to say the belts were very robust.

It was odd to see these machines that dated back to the early days of the automotive industry, especially in a plant that had the most state of the art PLC and CNC equipment available. But it was explained to me that nothing better had ever been developed, so they continued to use them, and the only change was going from cotton thread to the nylon thread. Of course, the entire construction of spark plug cable changed considerably over time too, but they still occasionally made small runs of the old non-resistor copper core stuff. Repairing Braiders was pretty mechanically challenging, and parts often had to be scavenged from machines that were no longer used because replacement parts hadn't been made for decades. They really didn't make much noise when they were operating, but they were at the rear of the plant behind a huge wall of sound deadening curtain. I always figured that was done in the hope that an OSHA Inspector wouldn't see them because they had hundreds of exposed moving parts and no equipment guarding around the individual machines, or the motor driven line shaft and flat belting. There was no possible way to lock out a machine for servicing or repair without shutting them all down, but I still have all my fingers so I must have done something right.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Interesting to know how long that technology hung on. Manufacturing firms, at least the small and middle-sized ones, don't throw out what WORKS.

We've largely forgotten the MANY industrial uses of leather, not to mention that it was one of the main, indispensable, components of our transportation system back when that was literally horsepowered. And for centuries it was a vital part of the military, not just for transportation and "fighting vehicles," but body armor.

When I lived in the former industrial birthplace of America (Hudson River and Mohawk river valleys) I saw many remnants of the factories that had been powered by water-driven leather belting, and of the remains of the tanneries that provided that material. A different world, and smellier, I'm sure. One of the upsides is that you can now fish in most of the streams that were the "waste disposal systems" for those tanneries. For many decades before my time, there was no life in them above the bacterial level....

On the other hand, leather itself, unlike most of its replacements, is biodegradable. Requires a lot of nasty processing and labor, but no petrochemicals.

Sidelock
Sidelock

A lot of those belts were bison hide. There is a good argument to be made that industrialization came on the backs of bison, with the help of a few bright dudes that figured out special ways to tan the stuff.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

My first job out of college 40 years ago was in a chain works, in York, PA. Two multi-story brick buildings, oil soaked wood floors, and line shafts overhead to drive the hundreds of chain forming and chain welding machines. The guys had special wooden "flippers" they used to pop the spinning belts on and off the machine's pulleys. Quite something to see. What a hellish environment to work in though- smoke from the welding machines, "boomalacka zoomalacka" clatter, and fork lifts (gasoline powered) zooming around. (You could see the wood floors rippling overhead as forklifts moved about on the floor above you.) I supervised a tool room some distance away from all that, and God did I hate having to go over there!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Some of the machines are still hanging on today, although most have been converted to electrical. I still use a surface grinder that was "born" to be run with a line shaft.
Mike

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.